Thursday, July 28, 2005

Do you know how selfish I am? If you don't, let me tell you:

I am so selfish that, despite my excellent health, my great friends, my loving family, despite the fact that I have food on the table and I can keep my windows open at night with no threat of kidnappers sliding through, despite the truth that I do not have to stay at home to avoid genocide, and despite the brilliant, bright and hopeful future God has given me, despite all the beautiful blessings I have through Christ, despite all the wonderful gifts God has given me, despite all of this I complain because one or two (equally selfish) prayers are not met to my exact specifications.

Think I'm still not selfish? How selfish is this: I take for granted all my blessings, covet the blessings of others, and cry out to God when He doesn't serve me all my dreams and desires on a golden platter.

I could stop here. But I can't. I am so selfish that I whine about a little discomfort as millions are starving to death around the world, I whine as people are massacred in unpronouncable foreign countries, their memories left to rot in ditches, I whine as children in Africa are sold as sex-slaves for money so Mom and Dad and Brother and Sister don't have to die of hunger...

and "Oh God, I lost my keys, I'm cursed and forsaken!"

G.K. Chesterton, when asked what was the biggest problem of our modern world, did not give some lofty theological or philosophical answer, but wrote his answer on a piece of paper in big bold letters: "I AM" The problem with society is in me and it is in you. It is in humanity. We are selfish, greedy, ignorant. I look at myself, give a nod to Chesterton, and say, "Right on, Brother."

1 comment:

Dylan said...

I think it's no coinsidence that we are thinking the same thing bro. God is trying to tell us something.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...