Sunday, July 17, 2005

I feel drained. Sometimes, when I am surrounded by people constantly, my energy saps away, my happiness begins to leak, and I even become bitter. My selfishness comes forth to show its true colors and I have to ask forgiveness from others for the way I treat them. It becomes difficult for me, in some ways, to be the generous and loving person Christ calls me to be. More people are sleeping downstairs, but in an effort to touch but a fragment of solace, I have dragged my precious bedside items up here into the dark and abandoned living room, and I sit in this chair and type, adoring the silence. Being around so many people with no breaks for relief completely sucks the livelihood out of me. I am thankful even for a few ephemeral moments of solitude. I believe we all need time for solitude in our lives.

5 comments:

Rochelle said...

I could not agree with you more Anthony I love my family but I need my own space and quiet time That's why I get up early or sometimes even in the middle of the night..I personally don't think that's being selfish.. I think it's necessary
Even Christ had to get away from his disciples for quiet time with God
You have to let them know in a loving way and I'm not always good about doing that either

Unknown said...

I can second that. Theres always a need for alone time to reccuporate and collect yourself, especially in busy or stressful times. Were going to be doing alot of that in college anth.

Anonymous said...

that getting away is what I love about running. It is so peaceful to spend 40 minutes running through the woods listening to nature, or listening to music through the headphones. The best is wearing the headphones, but not playing any music. The headphones blockout the sound of nature so you hear your rhythmic breathing, feelin your heart pounding, and in the best times, the whispers.

Doug Hill said...

Ant,

you are a classic introvert on Myers Briggs. you should take the MB Assessment, it can help you understand a lot about who you are. people who score a high "I" feel sapped when around people often and find their source of energy in solitude.

check it out. interesting stuff.

darker than silence said...

I did it online at your bidding...

You're right. Really high on the introvert scale.

Good call :-)

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...