Thursday, July 14, 2005

This morning I woke nearly with the sunset, and after a quick shower and a wrestling-match with contacts that I did not win, I decided to wind down--or wind up?--with some Folgers coffee while browsing the internet to see if anything exciting happened overnight. Other than some new posts by Adam, nothing really did. So I had a bowl of cereal and played Call of Duty and Black Hawk Down on the XP until Chris, Lee and Pat D. arrived at 11:30. I'm a fan of the realistic war games like that. They're just so exciting.

Jeff took us all out to eat at China Cottage, and the food--no surprise--was amazing. Everyone pigged on General Tau's chicken, but I went the wayward route with some chicken/beef/shrimp lo mein. Jeff took us all to the Garage where we spied on all the new stuff coming in. We also played around with my new cell phone. It is really nice and tech-savvy; I'm always behind on the times but it's exciting when the present catches up with me. After lunch, us guys all went to Drug-Mart and rented two DVDs, Pat D. slurped up an Icee and I purchased an $.89 cappucino at Speedway that was just beautiful. I drank it on the way to the Flower Factory in Centerville; I've been graced with a pass and let Lee sneak in as a guest so he could buy his poker chips. Tomorrow is my last day of work and, to celebrate, I think we're going to play some poker and camp out in Dewenter's backyard. Maybe I will be lucky enough to train Ashlie tomorrow: my last day, her first day. The irony is suffocatingly wonderful.

All of us guys and Ams watched Beyond the Sea, a classic movie with Kevin Spacey as the star. I am considering asking for it for Christmas, as well as the two movies The Life of David Gale and The Usual Suspects (I already have it on VHS, but DVD would be lots better). We ate grilled steak and chicken for supper and I'm about to take Chris home. In fact he is sitting on my bed right now waiting. He can wait a little longer. After I take him home, I imagine I will watch Enemy at the Gates, then burn incense and listen to some Bobby Darin music, read some Thomas a Kempis, and fall asleep to the sound of the insects outside my window.

4 comments:

Adam said...

Sounds like a good night.

Thomas a Kempis is inspiring. The Imitation of Christ is one of my favorite works of all time.

I need to go and check out The Garage sometime soon - I'm sure it's changed a bunch since the last time I saw it (when I was interviewing)

darker than silence said...

Imitation of the Christ is what I'm reading. They say everything in there isn't actually his, but most of it is. Yeah, the work is very good.

darker than silence said...

Oh, no. It was THAT early.

Whoops... I even proof-read it like twice

Dylan said...

Good times anthony...Good times.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...