Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Today was a good day. I woke up late and fixed toast for lunch. As I sat downstairs contemplating how to spend my day before rock-climbing, Mom invited me with her to check out the Garage. We went but it wasn't open, so we decided to go to Centerville Library. By this time my stomach told me the time to eat had arrived, and Mom was taking a long time in the library looking at movies. I dragged her away and she wanted a Diet-Coke. MURDER! That's what it felt like, my stomach was asphyxiating so bad. As we pulled in to the Burger King parking lot, I happened to catch a glimpse of what looked like a bank, except it was a Starbucks. My sweet-talking landed a frozen caramel frappachino in my hands, and I sipped it happily all the way home, not a care in the world.

Before rock-climbing I watched I (Heart) Huckabees. I heard about it from Adam's blog. I thought it was a good movie, with some wry humor. I just thought the acting was really good and the conversations people had were just hilarious. Yet I talked to Jeff about it on the way to rock-climbing and he said he didn't like it. Rock-climbing wore me out and my forearms are on the verge of deterioration. Mike showed up today with the rest of us, and I hope he can come out with us sometime again. Unfortunately, I only have one more time for rock-climbing before college starts up. I didn't do too well rock-climbing this time; I tried a hard track once, failed, and from then out my arms were dead. I was able to climb three medium courses, and then got halfway-up a hard course but had to come down as my arms were shaking so bad. It was lots of fun, though, don't get me wrong.

I am also glad to have gotten in some good reading as well as some writing done. Debbie bought me Your God is Too Small for graduation and I've started it. I think it's really good.

9 comments:

Adam said...

Hah, you're talking about the Starbucks on the 48 - drive thru...open 24 hours...they've reintroduced malt...must not go now...

Dylan said...

Hey do you have messy spirituality, or mere christianity? If so can I borrow them?

I liked your post by the way, such relaxation....

Adam said...

I've got Messy Spirituality and Yaconelli's other great book Dangerous Wonder - if you want to borrow them, Dylan.

Just let me know and I can bring them Sunday.

Adam

darker than silence said...

Adam has Messy Spirituality and I have Mere Christianity.

Yaconelli's book is shorter and much easier to understand, I'd go with it. I had some trouble with Mere Christianiy in some spots but it really is a wonderful book.

Rochelle said...

Messy Spirituality is my alltime favorite book I have it also
It breaks my heart that Michael Yaconelli died so young :(

Adam said...

C.S. Lewis' non-Narnia books are hard to read, but definitely worth reading.

Adam said...

Oh, and I can't find Dangerous Wonder - I remember letting someone borrow it in Arizona...grrr...

darker than silence said...

I've got Dangerous Wonder if ya want it Dylan... or if you ever want to reread it Adam...

Dylan said...

Wow, so many books just for me...

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...