Thursday, September 07, 2006

As everyone knows, or at least will know now, I've taken up the habit of smoking. It used to be somewhat of an issue for me; "Am I sinning in this?" I've had many conversations with many different people, not excluding the bible and theology professors here at college, and the consensus is, "There's no biblical mandate against smoking." There have only been a few times in my existence when I've smoked heavily. Most of the time I smoke every other day or something of that nature. Some of my friends have taken it upon themselves to take care of my "problem" by forcing me to quit or threatening to turn me in to the college. I'm not going to get into why I think this isn't stemmed out of care or concern but out of a desire to control (many people knowing the situation have reason to believe the motivation is a power-hungry drive for control), but what gets me is the fact that they think they can run my life because I'm younger than them. I can understand their reasons fine, but their methodology of enacting their own wishes for my life makes me sick. The only one who is really concerned but doing anything right is my roommate, Caleb. I've talked to many people on campus about the situation, friends who smoke with me on occasion, and they are all amazed that this is happening. These people have only confronted me out of all their friends. To be honest, I'm getting rather sick of them.
Just a little rant ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some thoughts on your blog today..
I am only wondering why you joined a school that had rules against smoking? did you not think this would be a problem? or is it really a issue of authority here?
An occassional cigar can not harm you but "the Habit of smoking" could. Also being a leader of teens could be questionable too.
We were at Apex Sunday and Rob preached a great sermon on beer..listen to some of his thoughts on the web,the sermon is posted weekly, good stuff.
Just ask how yourself-is this"habit" harming the growth of young believers? Bona in N.C.

Anonymous said...

i would imagine that God would view smoking similiar to gluttony - harmful to His creation(man)

i would hope that your school would respond to the breaking of rules with compassion, rather than harsh judgement. they should help students change their behavior (go and sin no more), so that they are following the rules

did you smoke before you joined a school with no smoking rules, or did you begin smoking later

Mike said...

Smoking, drinking, and other "gray areas" are often explored in college. I used to smok and am glad that I quit. I don't look on you with judgment, but I do have to ask myself how do my habits and hobbies glorify God? How does my behavior effect my relationship with God and with others. There is much to be said about living above reproach. Like I said, i am not judging just giving some advice. Everyone knows that smoking is harmful to you. For that reason alone, quit it. I love you bro and I am here for you. I will be on campus Tuesday night if you wanna talk.

Dylan said...

Nicely put Mike.

Rochelle said...

Anthony
Those who love you may sound like they are judging when they have concern for you...I think you also need to ask yourself why do you smoke? Is it to relieve stress? It is an addiction that can be very very hard to stop. Take Mike up on his offer to talk on Tuesday :)

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...