Saturday, September 02, 2006

I want to thank everyone for the support they've not only offered, but freely given. It means a lot to me, it really does. I'm thankful no one left a comment on my last post telling me that my depression is a side-effect of a corrupt faith. I'm not going to be all pious and tell you that I have the greatest faith in the world, because I don't, but I'm not naive enough to fall victim to the lie that depression is a spiritual disorder caused only by one's poor relationship with God. After all, were not many of the great heroes of the faith (many who find their names written in the declaration of the faithful in Hebrews 11) partakers of depression with me? Abraham, King David (in the early and later periods of his life), Habakkuk, Jeremiah, and then (maybe) John the Baptist and even the great ancient, Mediterranean missionary Paul? So thank you for all the support you've given me, fulfilling the law of love by supporting a brother who is hurting.

Last night at work was amazing. Because of labor day weekend, and because on Fridays the coffee shop is usually deserted because everyone hits the streets of the 'Nati, we did not have much business. We played games and laughed and joked around. We used mancala and "pass the pigs" to decide who would do the dirty jobs (the loser had to do the assigned job; I lost about four times). I also got to spend some time with a really cool girl who *might* have interest in me. Surprisingly enough, girls have not been on my mind lately. I confess I've been missing Sonja, but it's getting much better.

I've changed my message for tomorrow. Instead of talking about evidences for the existence of God (a very philosophical lesson), I've decided instead to teach from my favorite gospel text, John 8.1-11. The emphasis is going to be upon how no one is perfect, we all have our flaws, yet God forgives us and calls us to a higher life. Much time will be spent on the concept of sin (taken from Greek words for the subject), and how Christians are to deal with sin in the lives of those who are partakers of the faith and those who are not yet partakers.

Dad and I are probably going to Barnes & Nobles tonight. It should be fun. I'm looking for a good commentary on the gospels, so if anyone has any they love, please let me know.

2 comments:

Fiona said...

Hey Anthony!
It's been a while since I read your blog. So what has been happening in your life? I hope things didn't turn out bad for you. Cause I sort of have the feeling it did, because you're writing sounds so sad and the fact that you changed your white blog for the black one, doesn't give me a right feeling. I hope you're still doing fine!
Are you still going to Australia? I'm curious, hope to hear from you

- Fiona

Fiona said...

Hey!
Glad to hear from you so soon!
And about the depression, that doesn't sound too well! Hope it's not too bad? But there are probably lots of friends and family supporting you to get through it. And I'm always willing to listen if you need someone to talk to :)

I can really recommend Crete. It's fun to go, because of the great clubs and bars, but you can also visit a lot of cultural places there! Like the Samaria. It's beautiful!

But enough about me. How is it with you? Do you still give classes?

-Fiona

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...