Thursday, March 22, 2007

"Dirty Doug's" closed at 6:00, so Nick and I went to "The Anchor Grill" in Covington. It's renowned for its cheap but excellent food, and you can smoke inside. We busted out a pack of Djarum Splash and let the smoke rise to the dimly-lit ceiling, talking about all kinds of things: girls, politics, our futures, and (mostly) how churches ought to be culturally relevant, and how being culturally relevant changes depending upon the demographic in which the churches exist (i.e. he knows a lot about ministry in the rural atmosphere, I know a little bit about ministry in the suburban atmosphere, and Nate knows a lot about ministry in the urban atmosphere). He has an apartment in downtown Cincinnati and works full-time and goes to seminary full-time, so I hardly ever get a chance to see him. It was nice catching up.

A whole bunch of us hung out on the patio talking for about four hours last night. It was a great time. Who all was there... It was me, Caleb, Julie, Tim, Monica, Brandon, Emily, and Dan. We had a fantastic time. The laughter was undeniable. Everyone begged me to do a dinosaur demonstration, so I gave them a lesson on the pack-hunting tactics of dromaeosaurs (I think I spelled that wrong), then I acted it out for comical effect. Everyone loved it. I have been doing amazingly well since my medicine has been kicking in. Mom and Dad said, "It's good to have you back." I hadn't left physically, but I had left emotionally: I had isolated myself in my heart. Monica said, "You've been doing a lot better. I can just see it in the way you walk, talk, and even in your eyes." Caleb, my closest friend on campus, told me, "You've been doing much better over the past few weeks. How have you been feeling?" "I've been feeling great," I told him. Sure, there are times when pain comes, when depression lurks, but--overall--it's been going really well. The amazing thing is that being in the presence of Tim and Julie when they were cuddling didn't bother me at all. I had no desire to be with her. I never thought I would reach this point... but I have :).

I got to talk with a new friend today. We sat outside (because of the wonderful weather) and talked about our pasts. I thought mine was bad, but when I heard this person's story, I literally teared-up. A great wind of sorrow and anger rippled through me. It hurts so much to see people have to go through so much pain. It makes me realize how wonderful I really have it. Your selfishness is never more apparent than when you see how lucky you are compared to others.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...