Friday, March 16, 2007


I found this on the National Museum of Natural History's official website, and because I think it's so fantastic, I decided to share it with all of you. Now, for the real post...

***

"What do I want to do with my life?"

When we question God's will for our lives, I believe we get lost in a complexity of hopeful answers. We think God is calling us to do this or that, and then, when it falls through or we absolutely hate it, we decide it's either God's will that we fail or that we are miserable, or we wonder if we misread God's will all along.

"What does God want me to do with my life?" The answer, I believe, is simple: "Whatever I want--as long as I'm believing in His Son, pursuing holiness, and advancing His kingdom."

So the question, then, is, "What do I want to do?" I want to be a preacher or a teaching pastor, I want to be a husband and a father, I want to be a writer and a speaker. That's what I want to do.

"Who do I want to be?"

I want to be someone who loves extravagantly, gives abundantly, and forgives immeasurably. I want to be a person of grace, mercy, and love. I want to be someone who models Christ, inside-and-out. No, in all honesty, I am far from this. I am a selfish, self-centered creature; yet God whispers in my ear, "Can I change you?" I will let Him change me, let Him transform me. I will let Him take the rubble and dirt that is my life--that is me--and I will let Him transform it into something beautiful. Will I ever fully be the person whom I desire to be? No. I have no false illusions of ethical grandeur. I will make mistakes, I will break hurts, I will let people down. But I will continually pursue a life of imitating the model of the Messiah.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...