Sunday, May 27, 2007

my week...

Ah... A good day. Courtney was supposed to call me last night, but never did. When she didn't answer my phone calls or text messages all day today, I began to worry. I hoped and prayed she had not gotten in a car wreck or something of that nature. She finally called around 11:00 at night; she had left her phone at a friend's house and had been unable to receive my calls or texts. She sent me an AIM message last night, but for some reason I didn't get it. Well, all is well--and for that I am grateful.

Dad and I are going camping tomorrow night. I'm really looking forward to it. Spending time with Dad, getting back out into nature, and then going to the Creation Science Museum in Kentucky will be a blast. I am sure most people who have read this over the years know that when it comes to the big evolution/creation debate, I say, "Why does it matter? God did it!" Personally I think evolution is a better candidate for the mode of God's creation (though it is not flawless); and I believe this for two primary reasons:

After researching heavily both sides of the debate (and being, at one time, a very solid believer in young-earth creationism), I have come to my own, personal, and most likely wrong conclusion (for I am no scientist) that science supports evolution more-so than young-earth creationism. Obviously I hold to a "theistic evolution" viewpoint.

Second, I believe (after an intense study of the biblical accounts of creation) that the scriptures do not tell us how God did it. As I told Courtney today on the phone, the earliest commentators on the Torah did not hold to a literal approach to the Genesis narratives on creation. Genesis is an ancient document with ancient writing styles, and the writing style employed by the Hebrews in writing and composing the Genesis narratives of creation is written figuratively as a polemic against Babylonian gods. Thus when we interpret it literally, we are reading the text from a Greek mindset (because of Hellenism and the "advances" of the Enlightenment) rather than from a Hebrew mindset, as we should.

In other news, I got to hang out with Chris, Matt, and Nathan at Starbucks late tonight. Good fun. Chris and I plan on hanging out throughout the week. Courtney is coming up this weekend; I'm extremely excited. It's sad that I will not see her for two months while I'm away at camp.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...