Saturday, May 19, 2007

this is my life...

I spent some good time old friends yesterday. I hung out with Chris and Lee in the early afternoon, watched "300" with Dylan and Tyler in the evening, then Anna came over and we grilled chicken and made macaroni and cheese before hitting up Starbucks. Good times. Sometimes it's sad to be home, away from friends; but at other times, it feels like I am stepping back in time, to the days before I ran off to college. Those were good days. These are good days, too... but in a different way. As I told my friend Patrick a month ago as we sat out on the deck smoking cigarettes, "Life was good back in those high school days. And it's good now. But it's a different kind of 'good.' We're all walking different paths, branching out. Lee's in school for meteorology, you're going to U.C. next year, Amanda is going to Anderson University, Ashlie is hitting up Wright State, Anna is at Purdue, and Chris is training to be a fireman. These are good days, but I do miss those times when we would grill hot dogs over the fire, have sword fights in my room, and run streaking through the backyard."

We've been going through the anonymous letter to the Hebrews at 413 Student Ministries, but Larry decided to switch things up to a topical teaching. Each week the students will be going through a different topic, and throughout the week they will have different ways to explore and experience the topic. This week's topic is "Prayer." Tomorrow we will be examining Philippians 4.6-7 I believe, and we will be discussing the "art" of prayer. Sunday night (Identity) will be an experiential exploration of prayer. The small groups will be on the Lord's Prayer and the benefits of prayer. And to wrap it up, on Saturday they'll be watching "Bruce Almighty" and then talk about how prayer was presented in the movie. I'm thinking it will be good for the students, most of whom do not have a grasp on what Christian belief and practice is all about.

After teaching on Philippians 4.6-7 tomorrow, I am going down to Colerain to visit Courtney. I haven't seen her in so long! I'm extremely excited. We might watch a chic flick together then go to Newport to sip some iced coffees on "the beach" (the strip of sand along the Kentucky shore of the Ohio River where helicopters seldom land). On Monday my bank account is opened, Wednesday I visit Nate, and next Tuesday I head to camp early (Kyle and I are going to Niagara Falls with Sarah and Britney).

I should be going to bed soon.

By the way, the "300" soundtrack is spectacular. Tyler Bates is the next John Williams.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...