Thursday, March 10, 2011

intermission: birthday extravaganzas

My 24th birthday was this past Tuesday, and I celebrated Monday with my closest friends down in Cincinnati. Mandy made some delicious pasta, and Gambill asked off work so he could come. We had a great time just hanging out. Drinking beer. Smoking the hookah. Sharing love and laughter. Tuesday morning I had breakfast and coffee at The Anchor with Sarah, and then I returned home to enjoy my prime birthday gift: Skyler!


She's four years old, a German Shepherd-Boxer mix (and I suspect there's a bit of husky in there, too, the way she curls her tail). Absolutely adorable. She's a machine when it comes to playing fetch. She'll do it for hours without taking a single breath. Wednesday Jessica and I took her to Stubb's Park in the rain and Sky went crazy. It was pretty fun playing in the rain. Neither Jess or I had done it in years. We felt like we were kids again. Sky fell asleep in the car on the way home, and she didn't enjoy the bath I gave her--but she was rather supple about it, not a fighter. She understands that I'm in charge, which is nice. Because she's already four, she's potty-trained and doesn't go around chewing on everything she can get her paws on. She follows me around the house and climbs into my lap when I'm on the sofa or in the chair. We got her a bed and she sleeps beside me at night. Doesn't make a sound (unless she's dreaming). She's a marvelous dog, and I love her. And she's mine. Not Mom's. Not Dad's. She's mine. And, I don't know, but having full ownership over something alive, something you actually have to take care of, well, it's beautiful. I don't know. I keep sending pics of her to people, boasting about her, as if I'm a new daddy. Haha. I'm sure she'll start to annoy me soon, but in the meantime, we're living it up.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...