Wednesday, March 30, 2011

the dayton days [57]

Monday. Storms shook the house all night long. Flooding this morning. I worked 5:30-2:00 and read McCarthy on break. My review with Faith is tomorrow, so I spent the afternoon listening to Led Zeppelin and catching up on my PDP. Leah and I broke up. There were lots of reasons, not least (a) the high probability that she cheated on me, and (b) that she wants "nothing serious," and I want, eventually, a wife and kids. The breakup was pretty civil, though. She went on and on about how great I am, the best boyfriend she's ever had, but who knows if that's genuine? I called Jessie and told her all about it. I had spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, and Dylan came over for a bit. We ran to DLM for groceries. Leah texted me: "What if I regret all this? What if you end up being my biggest mistake? You're seriously like the best guy ever, and now I don't have you."

Tuesday. I worked 5:30-11:00 and had my 1 Year Review. It went very well. Faith says I'm definitely an asset, I'm the favorite among shifts. I spent the afternoon watching TV and Dewenter came over when he got off work, and we hit up China Cottage: General Tso's chicken, dark meat, with steamed rice, egg drop soup, and an appetizer of egg drop soup. DELIGHTFUL. We went back to the house and played some Wii and laughed about the 'olden days. My fortune cookie: "You will soon gain something you have always wanted."

Wednesday. I worked 6-2:30, and then Jessica, Carly and I hit up Flavor's Eatery, Borders, and then we went to Carly's new kick-ass apartment for French-pressed Yukon Blend and conversation and laughter until 10 PM. Jess opened up about some of her struggles, even to the point of tears. My heart broke for her. I didn't know what to say, how to offer comfort. She wept about God and I couldn't give any answers because I didn't have them. But, then again, I doubt she wanted them. Jessica, Cars & I are deepening in our friendship and people are taking notice. Jess & Cars are both shifts now; I'm a peon. A general rule: the two shouldn't mix. Both told Faith, "Anthony's a good friend, and that won't change." Faith was cool with it. Jess said, "If it ever came down to my job or my friendships, I'd choose you guys." Our trio of companionship, slowly evolving and gathering watchful eyes, has transcended the norm with trust, transparency, and affection. A beautiful, wonderful thing. Jess talked about how getting this job was a God thing. Working with Christians, building great relationships with Christians, encouragement and accountability. I wonder if it's not the same for me? Cars kept hinting that Jessica and I should date. I'm the type of guy Jess is into, and being a Christian is a real turn-on for her. But we work together and she's my boss, AND I miss Leah. So that's a No-Go and on my own accord.

Thursday. I worked 5:30-10:00, returned home to nap and dream of Leah, and I woke up sad. Why couldn't she be where I'm at, wanting the same things? Liking someone doesn't make a relationship work, and that's all we have. It was a wise decision we shared, and now we reap the loss of one another. I texted her, "I miss you so much tonight, Babe, it's not even funny. My night sucks 'cause I can't stop thinking about you." She said, "Well, try all day for me. And now I'm having dreams about you!" 

Friday. I worked a long and tiring 7:30-4:00, and now I have the whole weekend to look forward to. I'm resisting the urge to go down to Cincinnati since I'll be there Monday. I spent the evening writing, and it got warmer, up to sixty degrees, and started raining. And raining. And raining. The attic's leaking, the crawlspace is flooding. Boxes upended on bricks. I went over to Carly's and hung out with her and Alison, and then we went to Cadillac Jack's to celebrate Lourdes' last close (Cars took over for her; Lourdes quit, tired of drama). Good beer, good food, good friends. A good night.

Saturday. I met up with Leah for a little bit at Cadillac Jack's. Mandy convinced me come down, so I did, and we went out to Colerain to meet up with someone she knew, and we almost hit a bunch of deer. Ams joined us back at the Claypole House, and so did Gambill. He's interested in Ams. We grabbed some food, gathered in Mandy's room, and I crashed in the bed downstairs. Five blankets and I was still cold.

Sunday. I returned home after breakfast at The Anchor, and I went by work and had a chai and worked on some essays for Mandy. I went to Barnes & Noble but saw nothing worth purchasing. Mom's thinking about getting a dog from a friend. A boxer-shepherd mix named Skyler. She brought her over. Shy, timid, loves to play fetch. Dewenter came over for a bit and we played with the dog. Dewenter ran off to his grandpa's. I was supposed to hang out with Jess and Carly, but Jess was too tired and Cars didn't respond to my texts. So I spent the night alone and sad. Dylan and Tyler are in Tennessee for ten days. But tomorrow will be good: birthday bash in Cincinnati!

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...