Saturday, March 12, 2011

30 Days (XXII)

A Picture of Something
You Wish You Were 
Better At

I'm a good writer. Or at least a decent one. I'm never wholly content with what I write, and I can point out all the flaws more than anyone. They say writers are always more critical of their own work than others, and that those who proclaim their literature to be "amazing" are experts at self-deception, and their writing is probably not worth a damn. I enjoy writing both fiction and non-fiction, and the rules of both are wildly different. Nevertheless, I wish I were better at articulating my thoughts on paper; and, even more so, I wish I were better at articulating my thoughts in person. Sometimes when I'm engaged in discussions on important subjects, I find myself stammering through a slew of disconnected words and phrases, mumbling incoherent gibberish while trying to explain myself. I often receive cock-eyed stares and lots of "uh-huhs" acknowledging the other person doesn't understand but wants to be sympathetic. Often I'll get frustrated and just write it out, and then they're like, "Oh, okay, that makes sense now." I can utilize figures of speech and writing styles to convey a point. But, unfortunately, there's no picture that would relate to me inability to convey what I want in the way I could do it on paper. I may be a poet but I'm certainly no orator. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...