Wednesday, June 29, 2011

vacation (II)

Vacation continues to be great. Yesterday we celebrated Mom's birthday with a trip to Old Savannah, Georgia. It was honestly more fun than I expected. We boarded a trolley and cruised around town, walked through the open-air markets and ate lunch at the oldest place in Georgia, an old pirate's tavern where drinkers used to be abducted and forced onto Navy ships. This was back in the early 1700s, so the United States didn't even exist yet. And they say it's haunted. I tried collared greens for the first time and enjoyed them. We went down by the Savannah River and did some shopping, and we ended the night with a Ghosts & Graveyards tour of Savannah's most haunted locations. Apparently it's the most haunted place in the world? 

I'll be honest, I believe in ghosts. I'm  not quite sure how it jives with my theology, but you can't just discard the very thought because it's an awkward puzzle piece which you can't figure out where it goes. My mom's seen ghosts multiple times throughout her life (sometimes it seems they follow her around; but then again, this shouldn't be surprising, as there's some history of witchcraft in her family), and I've seen one or two that I can't deny.

Today has been a rather lazy day. I spent the majority of the day in the air conditioned condominium, doing some writing and listening to music. A monsoon came around 4:30 and we went out to eat at a Longhorn Steakhouse down the road. I don't eat steak much--loads of calories and fat--but when I do, I splurge. Tonight I had a 12-ounce sirloin with a baked potato, side salad, and several slices of honey-wheat bread. Absolutely fantastic. My belly throbs even worse than usual (insert smiley-faced emoticon here). Tomorrow we'll probably hit up the beach, I plan on doing a twenty-mile bike-ride around the island, and then we're going to eat Fuddrucker's for dinner. We used to have a plethora of Fuddrucker's back home, but they all closed down; so, quite understandably, when I saw the Fuddrucker's here, I flipped my shit. I'm not sure what Friday holds, but Saturday we're leaving Hilton Head around 4 A.M. (I agreed to drive: I want to get back by evening so I can do laundry, finish packing the car, and finish the move down to Cincinnati). I'm not looking forward to the 12-hour drive, but I bought a bottle of Nyquil to take after my driving shift; if I drink a good amount, I should be passed out for the vast majority of the rest of the trip. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...