Thursday, June 23, 2011

an unlikely solution

There was, of course, one unlikely solution to the problem: take the job and get to go on vacation. It looks like this is how it’s panning out. The owner came to me today at work to catch up on how I was doing and to get my feedback, and he was delighted to hear that I’d stay (I’ve made quite an impression; “task-master” is an appropriate nickname), and he even gave me vacation off. My nine-day work week ends with my last day of work at Starbucks, and then the next day vacation commences. One solid week spent in Hilton Head along the Carolina coast. We return Sunday, and that night I carry the rest of my stuff to the house, and then Monday I get everything settled with Tazza Mia and launch right into the next chapter in my life. The crazy busyness continues, but it’s a busyness no longer infused with conflict and unresolved questions but, rather, a busyness infused with hope and excitement. Now that the decision has been made, I feel a strange concoction of excitement and peace. Exhilarated and yet relaxed at the same time. How can such a thing be? I chalk it up to exhilaration at knowing I’m moving here and peace because the craziness has just about come to an end and I get to clear my mind, take a few deep breaths, and relax by the ocean for a few days. Now to enjoy a crisp and cool Asian wrap, watch “Lie to Me”, and then to head back to Dayton. But I’ll be back here in a few days, my new home:

the birthplace of awkward moments and ridiculous adventures

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...