Monday, April 22, 2013

the 19th week

Monday. I worked 6:30-1:15. Amos got a kickass pirate skull and crossbones tattoo emblazoned with lyrics from Mumford & Son's "The Cave" while in North Carolina. The drive home after work was beautiful: warm, sunny, flowers blooming and trees ripe with buds and leaves. I chilled out on the front deck and spent a while reading: Jeff Shaara's To the Last Man. Blake & I played MW3 for a bit, and Tracie came over. I headed down to The Anchor to do some writing before jetting up Vine Street to the Loth House for Monday Night's (post-Walking Dead). Tonight's highlight: Djembe Unchained. Damn it, every time. I mean DJANGO Unchained

Tuesday. I worked 6:30-2:00, opening with DeJuan. A beautiful, sunny day which I thoroughly enjoyed on the front porch. I headed to The Anchor, a spring storm following me the whole way. Traffic gridlocked on the bridge across the river, and to my left the stormfront was pierced by the sun, to my right lightning danced over the Kentucky hills; and behind me the city's skyline was bathed in rain. My time at the diner was spent writing, thunder rattling the rain-streaked windows, the coffee cup steaming. The storm passed, and I picked up Dusmesh for dinner: chicken jalfrezi, samosas, and bhatura bread. I rounded out the night with whiskey and O.J. at the Happy Hollow with Isaac and Gina.

Wednesday. Work was INSANE. I did F.P. and we went through 14 heads of iceberg and 3/4 a box of romaine in one hour. I was thankful to be home, did what I did every other day this week: sat out on my front deck reading. I went to The Anchor again, and then I headed over to the Loth House for Mario-Kart in John & Brandy's room and L4D2 in Amos'.

Thursday. Frank & I opened. He's down to a couple hours a week, landed a sweet gig with some agency writing hockey articles. He's brilliant, he really is. I read on the balcony after work and got stuck behind a cattle truck on my way to Amos'. We got Dusmesh for dinner--chicken matar!--and then went to the Tomeo's for House Church. Our homework this week was reading the Book of James. Tonight was Q&A, getting to know one another. We shared the current themes of our life. When I shared mine, Andy exclaimed, "Regret!" An inside joke. I said mine was coming to terms with where I'm at in life and moving towards where I want to be. A ex-CCU chick, Jessica, asked if I'd considered what might've brought me to this point. "That's where the regret comes in," I coolly replied.

Friday. Eric & I opened. I went to The Anchor before jetting up to Springdale 18 to see Jurassic Park 3D with Blake & Traci, Isaac, Amos & Ams. The rest of the night was spent at the Loth House with John & Brandy, Josh & Edith, Amos, and an entourage of dogs: Clover, Lily, and the titanic great dane Cleo. We played the Mario-Kart drinking game (take three shots of beer every race). Everyone got pretty trashed, except for me: tired from opening all week, I only had the total of one beer and then headed home around midnight.

Saturday. I went to The Anchor for a bit, did some blogging, then went to 600 to do Monday's order. Dave & Frank were scheduled to work (we're open Saturdays now), but both bailed and Amos ended up doing it solo. A hot mess, but he nailed it. I won't lie: I feel like Amos, Eric and I are the glue at 600. No one else, minus Sarah, cares or is reliable. I picked up some sushi for lunch, and Amos and I headed back to his place for a celebratory afternoon with John & Brandy. I did some late night grocery shopping: time to curb this weight gain. Not that I look bad. "I was just thinking about how good you look," Brandy said. But I can't let it go too far.

Sunday. I went to The Anchor for a little bit. Isaac, Andy, Amos, Ams and I got Dusmesh for lunch, and everyone game over to play video games and play a spot of Carcassonne with Blake & Blayne. People filtered out, and I did some late-night shopping and then knocked out some reading before bed.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...