Thursday, March 03, 2005

I only worked four hours last night, but it felt like a lifetime. I only pray that Friday and Saturday won't be as long - but I have comfort in losing myself in the future if that happens. After work Saturday, we are having a family birthday over at our house. Sunday is always fun, with Base Camp and all that exciting stuff. All of next week I get to sleep in two hours because the freshmen and sophomores are taking graduation tests; the juniors and seniors get to skip out! Also next Tuesday is my birthday, and it will be made even better by sleeping in two hours and Marion's Pizza with a bunch of my friends (not for my birthday, but I will delude myself); Wednesday is China Cottage with my parents (they shall fall to my desires!) and Friday and Saturday we pack up and travel to Kentucky. So if I can bear through the next, oh, fifty hours, I'll be home free! Depression has been slipping in with every rift of the passing tide, so I must be on my guard.

I shall not be depressed today, I imagine. Dylan is coming over, and we are going to make low-fat, high-protein chicken quesadillas. As we eat our grindage - that's from Son in Law, all you Paulie Shore fans - we will lose ourselves in the movie, 28 Days Later, one of my favorites. Heh. I have a new favorite every other week, but at least it keeps me innovative. Around 7:00, I will be eating buffalo wings with some friends down near Olde Springboro, and we'll watch yet another movie, a surprise I am betting. I should be home by 10:00 or so. I might have to ditch the movie early, but I don't care.

After work last night, life was enjoyable. I took a shower, then snuggled into bed and read In the Name of Rome: The Men who Won the Roman Empire by Adrian Goldsworthy, one of the only military historians whose work is intriguing and not boring. I hope to get his other book, The Complete Roman Army, this Saturday, but if not, I won't die for it. I hope to make more of a practice of reading - go to bed an hour early, play some calming music, burn incense, and just read for an hour or two. I have so many books and so little time. I need to carve time into my life, I guess. Having no time, as they say, is just an illusion, a symptom of the disease of business and stress.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...