Sunday, March 20, 2005

K2: March '05

During K2, Jeff threw an 'open mic' at us where we could stand up, say something on our hearts, and express ourselves as worship. Jeff looked over at me and said, "Anth, what's on your heart?" It was ironic he said something because a moment before I told God I would say something if Jeff played the song, Make a Joyful Noise/I Will Not Be Silent by D.C.B. So he called me out, I stood, walked up to the mic, stumbled through words, and said something to the extent of this:


In the Shawshank Redemption, it's said that the Pacific Ocean has no memories. David Crowder writes in one of his songs, "Running through the forest, dive into the lake, bare feet on beaches white; standing in the canyon, painted hills around, the wind against my skin..." I used to think those were just pretty words for a pretty song, but I came to realize that they're something so much more than that. David Crowder is painting a picture, an image of heaven, an image of paradise. When I am beaten and bloodied and bludgeoned by all the crap the world throws at me, when I am hit with depression, I keep these lines at the forefront of my mind, so I do not forget. So I don't forget that one day I really will stand bare feet on beaches white and wind against my skin, looking out at a beautiful and untainted ocean, where the memories of all the bad crap in this life is gone.


The background image on my desktop is of palm trees overhanging a beach as the sun sets in the distance. These pictures always fill me with peace, and it makes me smile to think that one day, when all is said and done, I will lean against a palm tree, close my eyes, feel the sand between my toes, the warm breeze tingling my cheeks, and let the scent of the salty ocean and the laughter of the gulls sweep over me; and I will not worry about school, or work, or paying gas and insurance. I will kneel down, let the sand run through my fingers, and joining my friends, we will run into that surf, laughing with no worries. That day we will swim with dolphins.

And God shall smile over it all.

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

You and I are on the same thought pattern :) I wrote about K2 on my blog too When I looked around at all of us in the circle I thought "someday we will all be in heaven doing this exact same thing" I loved K2 tonight

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...