Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Yesterday was not a very good day. My body fell apart, laden with sores in places I didn't even know existed, and since I have to wake at 5:30 every morning for school (7:30 was so nice last week...) I was pretty much just comatose. I usually meet up with Lee in the hallways before lunch, and yesterday I walked - well, stumbled - right past him and he thought it was a joke, but really, I was just kind of going through the motions. It was my sister's birthday though (sweet 16! yay!) so we ate at Marion's, but I got a tuna sub because it is healthier.

If it is any consolation, today has been much better. School was really easy, and I was able to finish all my homework and even get several chapters done in Gods & Generals, the first book in a Civil War trilogy I am reading. Lee, Pat, Chris and I got coffee at Borders, but I didn't buy coffee, because I think it's a waste of money. We also went to Barnes and Nobles and Best Buy, but I didn't see anything nice. Actually, that's a lie. I am considering buying a fantasy series called Darkness, by Harry Turtledove. It looks really cool, and I am simply considering it. I do have the money, with birthday cash and all, so it is looking good in several ways. Haha. I am convincing myself to buy it on my own blog. Tyler, Dylan and I went to Borders Sunday, and I bought two movies from birthday money: the Civil War movies Gods & Generals and Gettysburg. They're really good. I also used up my 1/2 Price gift card on two books: the Schindler's List novel (a favorite movie) and The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane; I read some of his work last year and did enjoy it. Needless to say, I do enjoy reading.

I must say, I am extremely pleased with how well small group went tonight. No one messed around (in a bad way), and while there was constant laughter, we all took it seriously, thinking on the subjects, trying to weave it into our lives, and even the Bible's pages were ravenously eaten tonight. The scriptures are so beautiful in every dimension; I can't wait to study those words at C.C.U. Sometimes I think we have lost the fascination, the beauty, the sheer awesomeness of the scriptures - lost them in the mundane Bible studies, Bible dictionaries, spiritual self-help books. I am not a big fan of spiritual self-help books (but I do like books by Willard and Eldredge and Foster, and ancient Christian texts).

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...