Friday, March 04, 2005

Last night we all sat down with hot wings and broccoli casserole and watched a wonderful movie, Tombstone. It might just be one I'll have to buy. All the actors are really good and bring these historical figures - Doc Halliday, Wyatt Earp, Morgan Earp - into life and turn them from textbook names and dates to real people with hopes and dreams and laughter and emotions. I kept thinking, and I know it sounds so foolish, "Wow, Wyatt Earp was a real guy. He's not just some comic-book super-hero. He really lived and did all this stuff!" A lot of times, I think, we make ourselves believe, whether we know it or not, that those famous people of history - George Washington, Robert E. Lee, Ulysses S. Grant, Wyatt Earp - were bigger-than-life heroes, when really they were ordinary people, just like you and me, who realized their potential and didn't live it down. You or I could be the next bigger-than-life hero, finding ourselves in the textbook pages, but that doesn't strip humanity off our shoulders. I might just be thinking too much.

In a little while, I will be driving to work. I work four hours today, six hours tomorrow, and I just hope I can survive it. It just feels like one of those couple of days when you just absolutely DREAD work, dread it with a passion. I hope I can get through it with a smile on my face.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...