Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Last Sunday Roger spoke of how a grain of sand is irritating in the eye, but if you work with it a different way, it can become a pearl. As to all the heck floating around lately, I really do think pearls are developing.

Today was our "coffee day" - chess and coffee at Borders Books & Music. The wind was sheer and biting cold, littered with snowflakes and drifts of snow. More than once my Jeep slid on the roads. But we're like the postal service - rain, snow, hail, we're always there at Borders for steaming Java. Lee and Pat broke out on the chess board (I don't know who won) and I browsed H.P. Lovecraft books while Chris flipped through CDs. Lovecraft is kind of like a younger Edgar Allen Poe, of whom I am a fan. I am considering buying H.P. Lovecraft's works over the next couple months.

Chris and I bundled up and trekked over to 1/2 Price Books, where I looked for cheap Lovecraft, but instead found another favorite author, Jeff Shaara. I said, "Screw it," and bought all the Jeff Shaara books, of which I am quite excited. I really enjoy reading; lately my eyes have been catching lots of spiritual stuff (Willard, Eldredge, Kimball, Emergent YS...) but I am getting back into J.R.R. Tolkien, Stephen King, and some of my other favorite authors. I just really enjoy reading - there is nothing like diving into a story and feeling the twists and turns and exhilerations! I have one more Shaara book to get, and I still want the H.P. Lovecraft titles; my birthday is next week, and I am hoping for a Borders gift card, and I'm hoping Mom will buy me the last Shaara book for my birthday.

Small Group was excellent tonight, even though some of us were wiry and uncontrollable. We talked about growing in Christ, and lots of snazzy analogies, stories and semi-discussions sprung up. Ams made Jeff cookies, and I hope he enjoys them. Dylan and I hung out till about 8:30, laughing and chatting and listening to Rage Against the Machine and the soundtrack to 28 Days Later. Kristen, you still have my 28 Days Later DVD.

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

I'll tell Kristen :) I'm glad you're friendships are getting stronger I'm the same way with books:) I love to read

Anonymous said...

Well, Lee's usually the champion.. but I managed to beat him this time. heh. See ya.

(this is pat d, I just used anonymous cause I forgot my password and I never use my blog anyways)

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...