Saturday, March 26, 2005

Writer's block. Actually, I'm lying. My mind is a chaotic cesspool of infernal ideas just waiting to be thrown onto paper, waiting to materialize into a literary piece of art. So many ideas I can't handle it. The problem is, I don't want to indulge any of those ideas. Starseed and 36 Hours were great, but so cliche. I want to write something that touches on the deepest wells of human emotions, something that stirs up the heart as only a few works of art have ever done. I want to write something epic, something that has not been seen before, something beyond belief and so radically life-changing. I'm almost done with high school, I'm going to college, I'll be living my career, and 100 years from now, I will be dead. I feel like I'm just wasting my writing time by putting the pen to unoriginal ideas that, while interesting, are forgotten with the wind's passing breath.

I'm inspired by the beautiful works of Edgar Allen Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, J.R.R. Tolkien, the classical Greek and Roman authors whose tales of Troy and Ceasar have inspired countless acts of bravery, innumerable lives of romance, and laid the groundwork of the warrior poet. I so strongly desire to write something that will touch base in everyone's heart; that, somehow, in some way, will carry my name down through the ages. Something that will find my name on the shelves next to Homer and Thoreau. So I have writer's block. I have the desire, but no idea how to pursue it. And time is slipping through my fingers like sand in a sieve.

2 comments:

Katherine Fuller said...

I suppose many of us want to write something great. But it can't all be so. A marathoner didn't start at 26 miles - they had to run that first one somewhere in their past. Keep writing, if anything, to clear your head. It will organize your thoughts and ideas, as I'm sure it's been doing throughought your years. Write and write and someday, you will write something so powerful that it WILL be remembered. But you have to get the little things out of the way too. It's all part of the big picture. Forgotten or not, every word is important, even if only to you. And that is enough.

darker than silence said...

Thank you so much; you're so right.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...