Sunday, December 04, 2005

Friday afternoon before I headed out for Indiana, Brian and I were sitting in his room and the question arose: "What happened during Jesus' childhood?" For me at least, it's an intriguing question. We really don't know a whole lot, in the sense that the gospels are quiet. What do we know?

We know that Jesus' father was a carpenter, but the word used in the gospels could also refer to a brick-layer. Interestingly enough, Herod was building lots of works for Rome in Judea; I wonder, is it possible that some of the remains could've been built by Jesus' hands? We know that by the age of twelve, Jesus was amazing the religious leaders of his day with his awe-inspiring knowledge and insight. We know that from age twelve to approximately age thirty, nothing of Jesus is mentioned. Yet we do know this: the last thing we see of Jesus is a pure identification of his person, but his status is still just a young boy. When we come to see him again in the gospels, he is a man and referred to as Rabbi.

This is what I believe: I don't think Jesus knew who He really was when He came out of the womb. In entering the space-time fabric of the universe, not being transcendant of it as he had always been, he was forced to set aside some of his divine attributes while still being himself. Like all Jewish boys, he would've gone to school and been learned in the Torah, the Jewish Bible, which is the first five books of the Old Testament. I imagine, as he read these and memorized them easily, he began to see the scriptures in a new light, was able to see the foundation behind them all--love!--and I believe he came to understand who he was: God in human flesh.

I asked Brian, "What would it be like to be Jesus at age ten or eleven and understand--really understand--for the first time that I am God. What would that be like? What would it feel like to look at the people around you, the world you bathe in, the stars above your head, and think, Wow. I am God. I have created all of this. How crazy would it be to be twelve years old and know this?"

I believe he came to identify himself as God and his mission unfolded. He knew why he was here. He came to grips with it and his parents affirmed it. I believe he took his first step by proclaiming that he was the Deliverer (Luke 4). I believe that he was both man and God. It's really crazy to think about and I don't pretend to really be able to wrap my head around it all.

Just some off-hand thoughts. I must get ready for Applebee's tonite. Brian, Caleb, Cassie, Heather, and me and Ashley are all going out. Should be a fun time. Good night!

P.S. Indiana was amazing. We took pictures and I will post them sometime this week!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I dont know Anth. It seems kind of awkward that God wouldn't know who He himself is. I think He had some idea of who He was. He seemed to always know what He was there for. Like He KNEW He had to die on a cross. He prophesied it several times. Just curious.. In what ways was God limited in his divine attributes? That's a really interesting subject.:):)

darker than silence said...

Hmmm... This is hard to grasp, definitely, so PLEASE don't take anything I say as gospel! I just find it peculiar that Jesus had to learn himself, and He even admitted to not knowing some things. Plus, many of his divine attributes--such as being everywhere at once and being outside time and space--would instantly been eliminated.

I often wonder what Jesus thought as he trudged across the desert, legs hurting, or when he fell to his knees, exhausted in the wilderness, knowing that he had thirty more days of suffering (and knowing then what it was like to experience time).

Just thoughts my friends just thoughts...

Anonymous said...

Anth,

I have thought about the same question - in fact I think I asked you about it once.

Because He was fully human, I can't see Him at one year old thinking "wow, this is cool being God and a baby".

At some point in His maturation, He must have come to realize who He really was, but I have no idea how/when.

dad

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...