Wednesday, December 28, 2005

We drove over the bridge from Covington into Nati yesterday, and when I looked up and saw the campus on the hill with its lime-green roofs, and when I saw the dorm that is my home, I realized how much I miss it. Going into last semester, I was freaking out, worried sick about it all. I was calm on the outside, but on the inside I was a raging inferno of anxiety. I was wondering if this was the right place for me or not. Now my heart tells me that, yes, it is. I miss all the hang-out times in the coffeeshop, dining hall, and student lounge, lying back in the chairs or shooting pool or just drinking coffee. I miss all the laughter in the dorms, all the long nights of hanging out, all the deep discussions and all the petty conversations. I miss the hilariousness that greets me every night, the hilariousness that defies explanation. I miss having all the game systems and DVDs I could desire at my fingertips. I miss the trips to Skyline Chili and Applebee's. I miss driving to Wal-Mart and Kroger with Brian and Caleb. I miss the journeys down into Newport, and all the wild and crazy things we've done. I miss it all. It's the life God has given me and I thank Him for it.

Don't think that I hate being at home. I absolutely love my family, absolutely love all my great friends: Chris, Lee, Pat, Hague, Ashlie, Dylan, Tyler... oh, and John Hancock. Sometimes it gets a little boring, sure, but my night-times are often underscored with movies with friends, going to Starbucks, or just contemplating life. One thing is for sure: I can't wait for January 1 to return. If I didn't teach on Sunday, I'd go back Saturday night after work! I imagine Brian and I will treat ourselves to some Applebee's that Sunday night.

Christmas was fantastic, by the way. I got so many incredible books, such as the Chronicles of Narnia and C.S. Lewis' signature classics. One of my favorites is a Jewish Bible and Jewish New Testament commentary from my grandma. Oh, and Battlefront II - what a sweet game. One of the highlights of Christmas was watching my Aunt Susan and two little cousins celebrate Hanukkah. They lit the menorah and read off some Hebrew. It was really awe-inspiring. It reminded me of the Siege of Masada for some reason. Sometimes I wish I was a Messianic Jew.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...