Monday, January 02, 2006

Class was not too bad today. Most of the class revolved around the Great Enlightenment, the Industrial Revolution, and the evolution of worldviews, from pre-modern to modern and now into post-modern. I am trying to find a good book that just lays out postmodernism and the Church plain and simple so I can get a better understanding. I may just read "The Emerging Church" one more time, though I think that Dan Kimball seems to miss the point that in some places, modernism is still very well-rooted and a change into postmodern ministry may not be the best route to walk.
    Tonight Caleb is coming up to visit us, and Ashley will be here, too. All of us are just hanging out around the dorms; I am actually on Alex's computer because, for some odd reason, my internet connection has vanished. The computer won't read the connection card, or whatever it's called. Dave says I probably have to do a system restore, which sucks, and he knows what he's talking about (he works I.T. full-time). I hope to give short updates every day, maybe just to keep me sane between school from 8:30 to 5:00 every day...

    5 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Anth,

    While the laptop is under warranty, we should take it to Dell and have them look it over.

    Dad

    Adam said...

    Hi Dan Kimball!

    Anthony, if you want to read good books on postmodernism, go for Stanley Grenz. He just recently passed away, I believe, but his books have been inflluential in many of the emerging leaders thought processes (including Dan, I believe).

    There's another guy that gets mentioned a lot, but I can't think of his name - he discussed postmodernism from a global perspective - oh yeah, I remember. Leslie Newbigin.

    darker than silence said...

    Dan, thanks for leaving a comment. I hope I didn't come off sounding like I negatively approached your book; it is a proud sitter on my shelf, if that makes any sense, and it opened many windows for me. I really appreciate your comment.

    Mike, I'll have to amazon search them. Conversation in my sociology class was interesting today, though, and I will mention it when I make today's post...

    Adam said...

    Umm, I'm Adam.

    But anyway, I just got The Shaping Of Things To Come - should be a good read.

    darker than silence said...

    Haha, whoops, sorry Adam... Didn't realize it was you. I was probably thinking about Mike when I was writing the comment because he was the one who originally introduced me to postmodernism and the emergent church... So, thanks Adam :)

    where we're headed

    Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...