Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Sociology was decently interesting today. Our professor, who seems to be very steeped in postmodern and emergent thought, proposed to us a radical idea: "What would happen if we stopped going to church?" For an hour he talked about what abandoning the institutionalized church would look like, returning to being the Church in community, emphasiving communal and missional living. He had very good points, such as that Sunday gatherings were originally created in order to commemorate the life, death, and resurrection of Christ, but was underscored by communal living throughout the entire week in ekklesias (communities). In referring to the institutionalized church, he used an analogy comparing the warfare of world war 2 to the Vietnam war: in the 1940s, the world war 2 tank warfare worked excellently, but in the 1960s, the tanks--the institutionalized church that served the modern world so well--were not well-suited to the task at hand in Vietnam (akin to the institutionalized church's struggle to breathe and make an impact in a postmodern society). Change was needed; change is needed. Most of the voices in the classroom were extremely postmodern, though I imagine the majority have no idea that they were such (I have met many people here who have no clue of the emerging postmodernism). I hope I explained that well; I never do very well with technical explanations.
    Caleb, Hensel and I ate dinner at O'Charley's after class. Since I don't want to waste all of my money, I just purchased a small sandwich. It was good to catch up on the times. Caleb, a desperate-yet-hopeful romantic like me, is finding life looking up for him. For the first 3/4 of first semester, he wrestled with a crush and nearly gave up, strangled in the emotional burden we both know very well. Then, out-of-nowhere, comes the news that his crush has a crush on him! We're all rooting him on. He's a very good kid and I love him like a brother.

    3 comments:

    Adam said...

    Interesting thoughts by your professor. I have thought through some of what he proposes, and although I like the idea - I just don't think it will work in American society. At least not for another 30-40 years until the institutionalized church dies out and America becomes another postmodern England...

    darker than silence said...

    He spoke a lot about England, too... He was actually quite hesitant to pop the question because he was afraid everyone would try to do it! As I mentioned in my last post, I don't think the culture is entirely ripe for such a dramatic shift...

    Ron Henzel said...

    Thank you for your insights. I share my observations of the American scene at http://thatisnotmyblog.blogspot.com.

    where we're headed

    Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...