Sunday, January 15, 2006

So I just met my neighbor here on 4N, and he has quite an interesting story. He is an honorably discharged Army Ranger from Afghanistan. He's a trained sniper and served in several missions, rapelling from Black Hawk helicopters, raiding chemical facilities, and going house-to-house. Several of his buddies were in Mogadishu, and his sergeant was one of those who was actually in the battle documented in the movie "Black Hawk Down." He was honorably discharged when his humvee was bombed and he had shrapnel lodged in his chest. He is a quiet, humble fellow.

I have been reading a wonderful book published by [relevantbooks]; it's called "One Thing" by Dwayne Roberts. God has been doing a ton of convicting in my life. Ever since I've been here at Cincinnati Christian University, I've been focused on God, sure, but a lot of my focus has been on girls. Oftentimes, my focus and desires turn more upon the arena of girls than on Christ and His Kingdom; Christ's words, "Seek first the Kingdom of God" has drawn conviction, because, in many ways, I haven't been! God has been telling me, "Until I am your one desire, I will not let you find 'her.' This is not because I am mean; rather, it's because I love you so much." He has been calling me to an (unfortunately) "new" plane of devotion: the devotion that is willing to sacrifice all my hopes, dreams, and aspirations for Him. He has given me a choice (and I pray it is figurative!): "Will you choose Me and self-denial or no Me but the life you've always wanted?" And the entire time I know that He alone is the One who can make my life truly worth living.

2 comments:

Dylan said...

I love that post dude...Miss you lots bro...

tenahawkins said...

"Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4
Most people forget the first half of this verse. Let Him grab you at this age so He can do above and beyond your expectations. I regret not seeking Him whole heartedly at a young age.
Have a good one! :0)

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...