Wednesday, January 04, 2006

In class today we discussed racism and prejudice, and before class I watched a special on TV about the evolution of the K.K.K. All I have to say is, "Racism sucks." It pisses me off. I never realized how much it still existed; personal stories spread throughout the discussions and several statistics honed in the point that even though much legislation against discrimination and racism has been passed, that doesn't mean racism, discrimination and prejudice has been erased. As a follower of Christ and a member of His Kingdom, I lovingly oppose racism and prejudice and embrace all people, for under Christ there is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, neither white or black or asian or latino... We are all one in Christ Jesus. I have an extended family member who is heavily racist and who is also a Christian; we studied different reasons of why racism and prejudice develops, and at least I can understand--while not agree with--where he's coming from (and the issue lies in him, not other people).
    The rest of my night seems to entail this: exploring some Brian McLaren, trying to understand the Story we find ourselves in, and probably going out with John, Nick, Caleb and Cassie. Tomorrow we only have four hours of class, and the final involves an episode from Bernie Mac.

    3 comments:

    Adam said...

    I can't remember who said this: "the least segregated hour in America is the Sunday morning church hour" or something to that effect.

    I believe that racism in America - in the past and today - and its roots and struggles found in American Christianity - is the Church's biggest shame since the Crusades.

    Peter said...

    My friend,
    For an 18-year-old, you have a depth and admirable openness. I wish I had been where you are intellectually, at your age.

    Thank you for your posts on my blog, and your own musings here. Very well said.

    Re: Adam's post above, it's "The Sunday morning church hour is the MOST segregated hour in America." Very sad.

    Blessings,
    Peter

    Adam said...

    Yeah, that's what I meant.

    The most segregated.

    Silly me - of course I did post at 6 a.m.!

    where we're headed

    Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...