Thursday, January 19, 2006

I have so much reading to do: I have to dedicate so much time each day to reading. Luckily, the worst book--about one hundred pages of meaningless statistics--is complete and my five-page paper has been written. Right now I am working through a book on racism in the Church; it is called, "More Than Equals." It isn't too bad, actually, I actually find interest in it. Other books I have to read include Lee Strobel's "The Case for Christ" and "The Case for Faith," as well as three books on evangelism: "Questioning Evangelism," "More Ready Than You Realize," and "Radical Reformission." In English I get to write a research paper, and she's letting us choose our topics. I definitely want to write a report about dinosaurs. I was thinking about writing my paper on angiosperms and how they affected the dinosaurs, but I don't know. I might just do the theories of extinction, because that'd be much easier.

Old Testament history class is amazing. I told Caleb that I had Dan Dyke as my professor, and he said, "Wow, Dyke is a beast." Dyke spent all day yesterday telling us how we Americans have forgotten the concept of the story, how we have turned the Old Testament into a book of statistics. "We're going to return to Story. We're going to look at the Story of the Old Testament from Genesis through Kings. We're going to discover the story of God moving in His people and entering into history." I'm excited about the last third of the semester: "We're going to rediscover the story. We're going to learn how to tell stories, how to analyze stories, and how to use stories in our teaching." I want to be the preacher who preaches from stories, not eclectic scriptures thrown together for systematic theology.

2 comments:

Ffej said...

Wow, Dan Dyke. He was my class sponsor. He was hired as a professor about 3 weeks before my freshman semester began. I can still remember him teaching parts of the Song of Solomon with a brown paper bag over his head. He was one of my favorite professors and I loved his classes. Enjoy !

Adam said...

Hey Anthony -

I have the book Radical Reformission if you need it.

I'm reading it now but I can postpone it if you need it.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...