Saturday, February 17, 2007

I asked Katy, "How do I find healing in God? See, I'm a very conceptual person. I know the intricacies of the theology of emotional healing from God. I know His promises of healing and protection. I know He wants--desperately wants!--to heal me. But when it comes to actually fleshing this theology out in the practicalities of my daily life, I find myself at a loss."

Katy paused, said, "I'm like you. Something I struggle with practically applying biblical concepts and principles. But, to answer your question, let me tell you what I've learned: if you want to experience emotional healing from God, devote all your time and thinking to God. 'Pray without ceasing.' That's the way we communicate with God, and He's told us, 'Ask, and you shall receive'--as long as it's in His will. I'm pretty sure God wants you to be emotionally healed. It's His loving, parental, kind and gracious nature. I think a lot of the times God is just waiting for us to ask for what we truly desire so that He can give it to us. So I'd recommend this: pray, know His promises for healing and protection, meditate on scripture, and wait on God to heal you. I think that's what we're supposed to go. There's no magical buttons or mystical formulas to this kind of thing. We need to let God really work on our hearts."

I sighed and said, "We make things so complicated sometimes, don't we?"

"Yeah. The book of Psalms is such a healing balm for everything: hurt, anguish, anger. You name it, it's there. I would start there and just read and meditate them."

I love looking to my godly friends for guidance and direction. Katy is certainly one of the godliest girls I know, and she has such great wisdom. I need to pray for God's wisdom.

***

Some time ago I promised a series on "Salvation." Well, that series begins tomorrow. Here's what to expect this week (among some other posts as well):

1) "What is salvation?"
2) "Is salvation conditional?"
3) Faith
4) Repentance
5) Confession
6) Baptism (possibly the most controversial of them all!)

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...