Wednesday, February 21, 2007

On Sunday, I taught class on developing our intimacy with God, lied around for a little while, then returned to campus to eat pizza and watch t.v. with Nate, Kirby, and Courtney. On Monday I went shopping with Trista to buy some new clothes (my winter-clothes stash is extraordinary, but I'll need some new clothes when spring comes around in about a month). Trista became deathly ill Monday night, probably from food poisoning from Burger King; on Tuesday I took her to Walgreens and bought her some medicine, and I ate dinner with Nate and Kirby before working 6-9 p.m. I spent the rest of my night hanging out with Rochelle and Cassie, and then with Kyle, Andrew and Lizzie. Today was a good day: I finished my book review on N.T. Wright's Paul just in time for class, and after working 1-4 I took a fantastic 2-hour nap. I hung out with Emily and Becky in the coffee shop before heading over to the Alumni Dorm for Open Dorms. I spent my time with Megan and Becky on first floor, then with Trista, Kirby, Nate and Courtney in their basement apartment. We took shots of cranberry juice (yeah, we're Christian rebels), watched some E.T., then Joe and I went for a drive talking about the parallels between the Old and New covenants and how the Enemy oftentimes gleefully uses tradition to drive wedges through the church. Right now I am sitting in the coffee shop typing on one of the computers, dreading going back to my room to clean (because Caleb and I received three demerits during room checks).
    Life has been going pretty well. Every now and then insecurities arise: "Am I lovable?" has been a big one lately. I can't help but feel that I'm physically inadequate, too much of a social blunder, and too awkward to be lovable by a girl. "All three of my girlfriends in the last month are happily with other boys," I told Caleb. "They're feelings for me 'mysteriously' disappeared. How am I supposed to interpret that?" I said, "The way I see it, girls are drawn to two things in guys. First, physical appearance, which I'm not too great at. And second, suave and sophistication, which, again, I fail at." He beat me on the head verbally and told me to stop letting my perception become twisted. Oh well. I guess we all have internal struggles, I'm just brave enough (or foolish enough?) to reveal them to anyone who cares. Maybe it's bravery, maybe it's foolishness, I don't know. What I do know, however, is that countless people have told me in person or via email or through whatever means that my honesty inspires and encourages them. So I guess it's worth it?
      Tomorrow's post shall be quite exciting, I hope: "Why is salvation conditional?" The series will probably take two weeks, because I don't care too much for just throwing theological discussions up like potpouri. Anyhow, here is a picture of Nate, Trista, Courtney and me laying in the bed in their room during Alumni Open Dorms (and, yes, for anyone concerned, the door to the apartment was quite open):

      4 comments:

      Dylan said...

      I love open dorms....

      agapetos said...

      you mean you didn't have a mass orgy?! GASP!

      Dylan said...

      Can you not say stuff like that, that is innappropriate? Great thanks.

      darker than silence said...

      Actually, I think agapetos has a very good point :)

      I have actually participated in an orgy, to be entirely honest. In Ohio, if six people wear socks and put their feet together, then it is an official orgy.

      where we're headed

      Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...