Sunday, February 25, 2007

Thursday afternoon, April and I talked about suffering and the role it plays in the evolution of our identity. Somewhere in the conversation, I said what is the headline of my blog: "Suffering, no matter how you look at it, breaks us. But as we lie in our brokenness, we have three options: we can remain in our broken states and bury our heads in the sand, we can try to piece ourselves back together, or we can rise up on the wings of eagles and take the broken pieces of our lives and fuse them together into a mosaic masterpiece that makes our lives before the suffering fade in comparison."

There's no getting around the fact that suffering has been thrust upon me. No matter which angle you explore it from, my life over the past four months has been far from enjoyable. Yes, I've had my moments of laughter and joy, but overall my life has been scarred with a whole host of emotional, spiritual, and psychological suffering. In my counseling sessions, we are beginning to see that this suffering did not begin when Julie broke up with me; rather, the breakup acted as a catalyst for a volcanic eruption spewing forth a plethora of bottled-up and masked emotions, thoughts, and feelings.

I stand on the threshold where I have a decision to make: which of the three routes will I pursue? Will I remain in my brokenness? No. Will I simply try to go back five months ago and restart there, pretending none of this ever happened? No. I will take this suffering and use it as a tool to evolve. I will become stronger, wiser, and build my character--all with God's help, of course. I will allow it to shape me into the person whom He wants me to be.

***
And, totally unrelated but fun nonetheless, here are some pictures I took of my humble occupation (Hilltop Coffee Shop) as we shut down for the night after all the customers were shooed out. Caleb is the supervisor working behind the counter (the tall guy, my best friend at college), Kyle (one of my other best friends), and Lizzie (again, one of my other best friends!).








3 comments:

darker than silence said...

I think that might actually be Melody in the last picture... Hah. Oh well.

agapetos said...

looks like a real cozy coffee shop!

Do you think there is a place for sitting in the brokenness for a while? Can one rush themselves through it? I don't advocate staying there for year upon year, but .... I think in our society we like to rush it along, though I know of some puddle wallowers too. I think we generally do a poor job of grieving our loses, we need to grieve all kinds of loses, and when we don't we end up with weird stuff coming out of us. At the same time I know of people who get stuck in certain stages of grief ... at the same time, having grieved some tough spots in life, I know that often I want to move on before I'm ready, others want me to move on before it's the right time, and I didn't always feel I had control of the process. I ramble, don't really know where I'm heading!

darker than silence said...

Yeah, it's a cozy place to work :)

Good point with the second paragraph. From my experiences one cannot begin to take the brokenness and rebuild without dealing with the hurt; I think it's sort of the rebuilding process, much as a carpenter takes inventory before getting started. The brokenness helps us see where changes are needed, helps us to see where we can make changes in our life, and it HAS to be dealt with--or you'll end up with a beautiful-looking home that is really gutted on the inside.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...