Sunday, February 04, 2007

a letter from a friend

One of my best friends--Caleb Payne, my roommate--wrote me this extremely encouraging letter not too long ago:

Anthony,

I hope you are doing well. I know that [life has] been hard for you. Please know that I am here to listen if you need to vent, cry, or shoot someone. I would prefer not to be shot, but sacrifice is sometimes a necessity.

This verse has brought me so much comfort in the past week. If you get the chance, read Matthew 7.7-11. I know what it is like to feel like God is out to get you, to feel like God is a fisherman who baits His hook with your greatest desires and tears it through your flesh, only to leave you bleeding and broken. I don't know why we feel like this. Sometimes our view of God is skewed, but that does not change who He is. He knows that your greatest desire is to be the best husband and father that you can be. I believe that God will honor your dream. She will come along when the time is right. Hang in there, buddy. I know it's hard to trust that God has your best interests at heart, but it's true. He is our Father, and He is good.

I love you, man. You know that. I am here if and when you need me.

Your brother, Caleb.

It is wonderful to be surrounded by people care as I struggle to survive during this difficult time in my life. Without such loving and caring friends and family (such as Caleb), I don't know how I could handle the intense emotional suffering I go through everyday. I am unbelievably thankful for those who have given up their time and energy to do whatever they can to sustain me in this trying period of my life. Were I alone through this great ordeal, I doubt I would be writing this right now. Thank you to all of you who have encouraged me, listened to me, and prayed for me. You have literally saved my life.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...