Saturday, February 10, 2007

I gave a presentation on dinosaurs in the Restoration lobby last night; about ten people showed up, some I didn't even know, and I tried to answer their questions about dinosaurs as much as possible. We shared a lot of laughter, for you can only imagine where talking about dinosaurs will lead when the conversation is guided by college guys (though one girl, Sarah, attended as well). Kyle and I had a party-night in his room, but it only lasted for about twenty minutes before we both fell asleep.

Mom and I went shopping today at Elder-Beerman (or however you spell it). I purchased a whole new set of winter clothes for about $100; because of the sale, I saved about 75%! It was an insane deal. I spent my afternoon napping and talking with some friends online and via text-messaging. Caleb called and we talked for a bit.

I get to teach both Jr. and Sr. High classes tomorrow at Southwest Church. It's been a while, so I am putting together a really good message entitled "The Dark Hour of the Soul." It is an exploration of the story of Job, what we can learn from it, and what it might look like in a modern context. One of the great questions in the study of the book of Job is, "Is this a historical narrative or a parable?" My answer: "Yes." I believe it is an embellished oral tale whose roots are tied into a specific, historical event. This kind of writing (semi-historical) is not uncommon for ancient cultures, though nowadays, it seems heretical to view this kind of writing as valid (thanks to our Greco-Roman culture roots). Nevertheless, I believe it is a timeless tale that speaks volumes to God's people as they suffer on this earth. I know it has been a great help and encouragement for me as I have fought through depression, despair, and hopelessness over the last few months, and I hope the Spirit will guide me to say the right things so that others can find hope and encouragement in my words, so that when they "walk through the valley of the shadow of death," they will "fear no evil."

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...