Saturday, April 14, 2007

Courtney has come up to my place this weekend. This evening we went out to eat at China Cottage (my favorite Chinese restaurant), then we went to The Garage to visit friends, and finished out the night with a visit with some friends having a party. Booze and pot was available, but Courtney and I declined. One of the guys there whom I did not know found out that I went to a Christian university, and he asked my view on creationism/evolution. I answered quite poetically, I believe, giving my interpretation of Genesis 1-2 as polemic literature against pagan gods (i.e. Leviathan, the sea serpent of the Babylonians), and I concluded with my own most-likely-wrong opinion that God created the world through the means of evolution; just as an artist paints his masterpiece with a paintbrush, so God paints His masterpiece with evolution [his metaphorical paintbrush].

I had lots of time to think about my future, and I felt really convicted about some things, especially my apathy regarding school. I remember a time when my energy for school burned like a brilliant torch, but now it has, for some unknown reason, been doused. I am just as passionate and just as eager to embrace my future, but I know that I need to be well-equipped to embrace that future, and that involves getting my degree and keeping a solid head on my soldiers. I am not a preacher now, I am not a husband now, I am not a father now: right now I am being formed into the person whom I need to be so that, when those times come, I am well-equipped to deal with them. Just as Paul went into Syria for much time to prepare for his calling before beginning his "professional" preaching ministry, so I must spend much time preparing for my ministry, for the life God has called and continues to call me to.

I woke up around 8:00 and went to McDonald's, grabbing breakfast for Mom and me. Courtney rolled out shortly thereafter, and we hung around till about 11:30 when we went with Dad to the "Great Wolf Lodge" next to King's Island [see the picture below]. It was a really spectacular place. I imagined one day bringing my kids to such a place and enjoying the indoor water park with them. Courtney and I ate lunch at "The K" along Springboro Main Street. A little kid talked to us as he ate his chocolate ice cream; it was adorable! We watched A Beautiful Mind--I always cry at the end when he is awarded the "Lifetime Achievement Award" at Princeton University--but this time I was able to hide my tears so Courtney couldn't see them. Ha! Courtney is presently sitting across from me on the leather couch, Dad is out rock-climbing, Doogie is laying beside the front door, and Mom is bringing us Penn Station for supper. I am not sure what Courtney and I will do tonight.



I lied. I do know what Courtney and I are going to do later: Starbucks date! Lattes and caramel macchiatos! I'm excited; sadly, Starbucks macchiatos are not as good as the ones made at the Hilltop where I work, but--eh--at least the label is nice. I am going to work on my Hebrews 6 lesson for tomorrow and do some research for my David paper, and Courtney is going to... drink coffee and stare at me. She has homework, but I am certain she won't touch it.

2 comments:

Mike said...

If you guys can hold off on going back until later sunday night, we would love to have you at 3rd place. I think we are going to pick up our study of Acts.

Mike said...

Check that. We are going to be discussing the "lies of the devil."

At any rate, I would love to have both of you here.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...