Friday, April 20, 2007

dragons, demons, David





Courtney and I went to the Spencer's at the Florence Mall where I purchased two posters for my dorm room. I already have a poster of a burning phoenix which is pretty cool, but a poster of a dragon perched upon an abandoned church and a poster of death himself leading forward an army of skeletons make the atmosphere a little more cozy. I'm a big fan of the fantasy genre (though I don't read it, which is strange, except for the Lord of the Rings books). As I stepped back and looked at the posters on my wall, I thought about what other Christians might think of it. I happen to know someone who would advocate me to take the posters down: "You're just opening a doorway for demonic influence." I think this is taking it a little too far; I don't think having figurine skeletons and skulls in your room constitutes as a doorway for demonic oppression. This led me to thinking about how often we are so paranoid about things that we take numerous unnecessary steps to protect ourselves. Take demonic oppression, for example. Some people are so frightened of it that they dare not watch horror movies or read horror books, thinking that this serves as a "window" to evil. Personally I think this is a bunch of nonsense, but live and let live. Do I think I am opening myself to demons by hanging up posters with skeleton armies, or watching "Army of Darkness"? No, not at all. Does this mean I completely ignore the fact that the Enemy is out to get me? No, not at all. Random stream-of-thought post, I apologize. In fact, now I wonder why I bothered writing it. Perhaps I will delete this paragraph... I'm really considering it... No, I don't think I will. Moving on...

I am writing a collection of fantasy short-stories. Elves, dwarves, dragons, wraiths, wizards, witches, vampires and werewolves, epic war. The stuff that sells nice and enjoys an endless range of creative leisure. I am looking through Dungeons & Dragons and the Magic card game for inspiration, as well as simply setting aside time to stare into space contemplating all the different storylines I can imagine. I've already gotten about ten pages done on the first short story, and so far it's looking quite nice. I have so many great ideas for this collection, I have to write them down so I don't forget (that will take place after I post this).

I am almost done with Act I of my David paper. I finished the prologue and am moving along quite steadily. Tomorrow I am finishing up my exegesis of 1 Samuel 17, the epic story of David and Goliath. It is a very fascinating read. Dyke and I had a conversation about this, and he pointed out something very interesting. In our translations of the Hebrew of this chapter, Goliath is quoted as taunting the Israelites when David comes out to face him, "Who is this you send against me?! A mere dog?!" A more accurate translation would be, "Who is this you send out against me?! A homosexual?!" Of course, our English translations aren't too fond of that interpretation, so we don't include it. Interesting, though, eh? Dyke is never afraid to speak despite the feedback he might receive. That's what's so wonderful about him--and he's a genius when it comes to the Old Testament.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...