Saturday, April 28, 2007

gearing up for an insane week

What a week it has been! I've worked nonstop whether it has been at the coffee shop or writing countless papers. This weekend is a refueling for me: I spent a good amount of time with Courtney and her family yesterday, eating out at Xoshi's (a Mexican diner) and then playing with her cats. Two Wednesdays ago, Courtney, Kirby, Nate and I were down in lower Price Hill helping out at the Urban Appalachian Council (yard work and such), and Courtney found a little kitten with her whiskers burned off. The man who managed the organization told us, "There are strays all over the place down here. Nobody likes them. They go through a lot of abuse." His wife said, "Why don't you just take him with you?" So Courtney--against all of our warnings--took her to the dorm and gave her sanctuary... until she got caught. Her friend and R.D. told her she had till 10:00 to get the cat out before she would get fined $150. "If Anthony gets caught in my room, do I have till 10:00 the next night to get him out?" she mused. So she took the cat back home, but the kitten and her other cat--Rossy--do not get along. They fight and attack, and though I find it hilarious (Courtney yells at me for my laughter), I don't want the poor cat to get hurt! Anyways, we played with her cats last night and went to bed late after watching "Saving Private Ryan." This afternoon we ordered La'Rosa's for lunch, watched "The 40-Year-Old Virgin," and went out for ice cream with her family. I returned home and smoked a Cuban cigar around the fire with my mom and dad.

Tomorrow I am teaching on a passage from the prophet Jeremiah (Jer 31.31-37). Afterwards, our family is going to my grandma's house to celebrate my dad's birthday (April 24). I am returning to campus, then setting down to begin working on a whole new set of papers.

Next week will be, without question, the hardest week of the semester. I have two fifteen-page papers to write for my Life of David class, five or six papers for my Pauline Epistles class, a take home exam for my Pauline Epistles class, and a huge exam to prepare for in my Gospels class. Exams start the week after next, and then I have not one but two late weeks: Modern Ethical Problems with Snyder and a new one, The Book of Romans with Jamie Smith. This next week shall be insanity.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...