Tuesday, April 17, 2007





"These are bad days," my mom told me on the phone. She's right; but I keep asking myself, "How come it takes a national tragedy to catch our attention to the wickedness swarming our world?" We like to live in isolated bubbles, cocooned in our daily lives, ignorant of what is going on throughout the rest of the world: famine, genocide, race riots, massacres and slaughters, entire continents being torn apart by wars that never even make the evening news. Caleb and I watched the ceremony for the students lost at Virginia Tech on Monday, and I keep recognizing how everyone called this a "global tragedy." This is nothing new, I'm afraid. This is going on throughout the world on a much larger scale, except this time it "hit home."

When I look at the world and events like the shooting at Virginia Tech, I can't help but ask "Why?" It is the age-old attempt to understand those things that are, by nature, beyond our understanding. The governor of Virginia, in his speech yesterday, spoke of the story of the Old Testament character Job, and how when he was stricken with tragedy, he cried out to God, "Why?!" Job did not receive an answer to his cry, only an "I AM GOD... and you are not." Job found himself humbled before the authority, power, wisdom and understanding of the Creator-God. It is strange, in a sense, that Job never received an answer; but then again, maybe it's not so strange at all. Answers to life's most painful questions hardly ever bring relief or solace. We can approach those who lost their sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, friends and family in the shootings and give them a theology of suffering and evil, but that will do little to ease the immense burden on their hearts. All we can do in these moments is cry with them, acknowledging that we do not understand, we may never understand, but trusting in God nonetheless. That is true faith.

My prayers go out to all those affected by the tragedy that struck Monday, and my prayer is that this will open up the eyes of many to the evil in our world. Perhaps we will become more aware of the tragedies striking everyday across our planet, and perhaps we will be moved to action. I am not sure how I can help fight the the injustice and evil in our world today, except through prayer, but I am a firm believer that God's family is one of His key instruments in bringing about justice.

"Why did this tragedy at Virginia Tech happen?" I don't know.
"Why did God allow a crazed madman to kill so many innocent people?" I don't know.
"Why didn't God intervene and stop this atrocity?" I don't know.

All I know is that God weeps with those who weep, and He is the healer and mender of broken souls. May those crushed by this tragedy seek the one who gives sight to the blind, songs to the mute, sound to the deaf, healing for the sick, and the one who shatters the darkness with his glorious light. May we find shelter in the arms of Christ. We don't know the answers to these questions of "Why?!", but in the end, they wouldn't help anyway. What can heal us and bring us peace and joy in these dark hours is not knowledge or wisdom or understanding, but the presence of a compassionate, caring, and merciful God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amen

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...