Monday, September 01, 2014

the 41st week

 

Monday. After morning coffee and scripture at The Anchor, I traveled up Interstate 75 to hang out with Dylan, since he's in town. He cancelled on me (things are really busy for him), so I spent the afternoon at Mom & Dad's doing laundry, watching Criminal Minds, and eating Chipotle. I went for a run at North Park and lifted weights outside before jumping naked into Mom's pool and relaxing under overcast skies with a bottle of Blue Moon. I headed down to Ams' new place in Fairfield (it's right across from Jungle Jim's!), and we went by her old apartment so she could clean the oven, and she fixed roasted potatoes and we watched more of (you guessed it!) Criminal Minds. It's such a good show; we're addicted. We went by Kroger, and the Self-Scan wasn't working, kept asking me to ring up my items twice (I bought some cleaning supplies; I've been on a huge binge-cleaning kick lately). I exclaimed, "I'm not buying it twice!" and one of the cashiers came over to help me out. Ams watched the ordeal, laughing, and when we headed outside to her car, she said, "I'm pretty sure that chick was into you. She kept watching you and smiling." Maybe she thought I was funny?

Tuesday. I worked 6:30-10:30 at Tazza Mia. Sarah didn't show up for work, and that was frustrating, so I busted out everything all on my lonesome. I was going to go for a run before my shift in Blue Ash, but the humidity was just too much for me. My shift in Blue Ash was cut four hours short: their AC unit is down, and the house is sweltering; so the guys are spending the night with their parents. I headed home, and after some time at The Anchor I played Birds of Steel, worked out, did some reading about the Allied seizure of Oran and Casablanca (you know, when the Allies fought against the French in World War Two).

Wednesday. I worked 6:30-10:30 at the cafe and once again skimped on my run due to the humidity. I feel like I'm being waterboarded just by stepping outside. I cleaned the Hobbit Hole, worked out, and went to The Anchor for coffee and scripture before my shift in Blue Ash. Ben accompanied me to Kroger for my grocery shopping, and in the produce aisle (these things ALWAYS happen in the produce aisle) a cute girl approached us and said, "Hey, this may be weird, but are you guys my neighbors?" She moved into the house next door. I put all my social practice to work and was able to hold a five-minute conversation with her. Ben would be a good wingman; it's easy to bounce off all the ridiculous things he says. His weird statements are fodder for my wittiness. I was pretty impressed with my aptitude talking with a cute girl without (a) coming off weird and (b) having hot flashes (I practically go through menopause when talking to a cute girl I don't know). And she laughed a lot, which was good. Lots of good practice for when I jump into the dating pool again. I took Ben to a picnic at Jason's parents' house. Jason made his "secret recipe" burgers, his mom made all sorts of side dishes, and we polished it all off with a couple beers. I spent the evening before bed reading An Army at Dawn.

Thursday. I woke hours before I had to be at work in Blue Ash, so I bided my time with coffee and scripture at The Anchor before my 8:30-4:30 in Blue Ash. I took the guys to volunteer at Gorman Heritage Farm, and then we did chores around the house, walked to UDF, and rented some movies from the library. Ben's quote of the day: "Since your girlfriend broke up with you, is your sister allowed to pee on you now?" I am terrified of what goes on in that brain of his. When Sarah relieved me (and, boy, what a relief it was!), I drove out to Fairfield and hung out with Ams at her new apartment. She asked if I wanted anything for dinner; I said No. So she ordered a pizza and breadsticks, assuming I would eat a good amount of it. She assumed correctly. "I'm the guy who never wants to order pizza but always ends up eating half of it." Her Netflix wasn't working, so we watched episodes of Spartacus: Season Three. The gratuitous sex scenes annoy me. They serve absolutely zero purpose other than being there to "push the envelope." But the battle scenes... Those are what I love about that show.

Friday. I went to The Anchor for coffee and scripture before my shift at the cafe. One of the waitresses asked me what I was doing as she saw me filling pages with scripture. "I like to write it out, just like the monks used to do, so I can comprehend it better." She thought that was pretty cool. Brandon and I worked in the cafe together, and I spent the evening at The Anchor yet again polishing up my narrative history of the battles of Lexington & Concord. I was there for three hours, and then I went home, lit some oil lanterns, played soft music, and read An Army at Dawn: the Allied push into Tunisia and their first encounters with the Germans at the Gate of Tunisia. The most interesting part of that series of battle, in my opinion, were the Stuka raids. The Stuka dive bombers would plummet down towards earth, releasing their cargo; a lot of the local soldiers rode horseback or on camels, and the Stukas would tear them apart piecemeal. Interesting fact: air sirens were attached to the Stuka dive bombers as a scare tactic, so that when the German pilots began their dive, everyone would hear that sound and know that Death was rapidly approaching. The Assyrians had their pyramids of severed heads; the Germans had their Stuka sirens.

Saturday. I went to The Anchor before my shift with Aaron (we hit up Frisch's breakfast buffet and did some perusing at Wal-Mart off Glenway), and before my shift in Blue Ash I did a killer workout that included not only my shoulder, chest, and back exercises but a makeshift at-home cardio that involves jumping squats and jumping push-ups. #wornout. I keep skimping on running because of the nauseating heat, so hopefully that'll make up for it. I worked until midnight in Blue Ash: movie night! The three of us watched The Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Ben spilled popcorn everywhere, per usual.

Sunday. I went to The Anchor before church at U.C.C., and I spent the afternoon writing in my Hobbit Hole. At 3:30 I headed up to Blue Ash for a 4-Midnight shift with Ben (Jason is out of town for Labor Day). It was a pretty chill night: hanging out with Ben, watching movies, reading, writing, and then sitting out on the back porch after he went to bed, reading scripture, watching lightning bugs, and listening to the mating calls of night insects. The highlight of the day (if you can call it that) was wiggling myself out of some sudden drama. One of my friends from U.C.C. came out of nowhere accusing me of leading her on; she has feelings for me, and she told me as much a couple weeks ago, and I informed her that my heart belongs to Someone Else and I have no desire to date. I really don't think I could've been anymore explicitly clear. She told me that the best way to get over that Someone Else is just to get out there and date. She wants to be my rebound. But I'm not a big fan of rebounds, because (1) they're dishonest, and (2) I'm too compassionate to effectively practice a rebound. Besides, how do you go from being with someone like the Wisconsinite to a rebound and feel good about it? It's just not possible.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...