Monday, September 15, 2014

the 43rd week

the view from Natural Bridge

Pardon Day. I went to The Anchor for coffee and scripture before lunch at Dusmesh. I spent the majority of the afternoon working on my Cannondale 500, with a few trips to the Bike Shop in Colerain, before my shift with the James' in Norwood. One of them didn't shut my door correctly, and on the drive home through Newport on the Levee, the door kept swinging open on every turn; no matter how many times I tried to close it, it just wouldn't lock. People kept staring from the sidewalk as my door would flip open, and I'd lean across the seat and grab the door and pull it taught. So frustrating. I fixed it, though. John invited me over for grilled hot dogs and beers, so I spent my evening at Winton Ridge. Brandy joined us, and we sat out on their vine-covered porch with Clover moaning at all the groundhogs tramping through their backyard. The church I preached at yesterday called me: they want to hear another sermon. That's better news than not hearing from them at all!

Wonderful Weirdos Day. After morning coffee at The Anchor, I took my bike out to the Little Miami Scenic Trail and biked eight miles. I wanted to do more, but my gears were making weird noises, and I didn't want to risk anything. After biking I loaded the bike into my car and then did a mile sprint through the woods, all but collapsing from exhaustion at the end of the trail where the path opened up to a sandbar on the river. I basked in the sun and chugged on Powerade and then made my way back to my car on shaky legs. I went by Swaim Park before my 2-8:00 in Blue Ash (I got off early; Lisa wanted hours), and I spent the evening at Winton Ridge hanging out with John & Brandy, Blake, and Amos. I was honest about my compulsion to pee in Arby's parking lots, and when it comes to the subject of profit-sharing, "Dibs on Obadiah!" 

Swap Ideas Day. I went to The Anchor for my morning devotions, and then I headed out to the Little Miami yet again but for a different purpose: kayaking! BUT they were closed (though their website said they were open). I pouted and then headed further up country roads to Rowe Woods, where I did a couple-mile hike culminating in a half-mile run and a series of sprints up winding limestone stairwells. I worked at 3:00 in Blue Ash, and after taking Jason to Ballroom Dancing, I rendezvoused with Ams at my Hobbit Hole and we hung out for the rest of the evening: catching up on life, her new job (Chic-fil-A turned into a hot mess, but this new place has its lion share of troubles), and playing GTA5. The best part is driving around like a crazy man and pulling off heists. Ams said she's considering quitting her new job; "Is Walk of Joy hiring?" she asked; and then, "Wait, no, I'm not at that point yet." Thanks, Ams.

Patriot Day. This newer holiday celebrates... Wait, I don't think "celebrates" is the right word; let's say memorializes... the terrorist attacks thirteen years ago. What bothers me (and I'll risk being insensitive here) is why this event gets all the fanfare when the Battle of Brandywine took place on this same day in 1777?! Maybe it has something to do with how Washington got his ass kicked? I worked until 4 PM in Blue Ash; my Thursday meeting with a guy from a church up north for an Associate Minister position was rescheduled. I spent my evening (a) cleaning the Hobbit Hole, (b) reading scripture at The Anchor, and (c) lighting oil lamps and enjoying the beautiful autumn-esque weather with my windows open.

Tazza Mia: The Last Day. Yesterday was Tazza Mia's "Last Day of Business," and this morning Eric and I cleaned out the refrigerators, cleared out the back room, and threw everything away. We ordered lunch from Rock Bottom, drowned half a growler of beer, and went back to work. Once I got off, I drove down to Red River Gorge. I rented a room at Li'l Abner's Motel, and I hiked Natural Bridge and Chimney Top Rock. I ended the night breathing in the deep country air and reading scripture on the room's outdoor patio. 

Iguana Awareness Day. I woke early to drive the Scenic By-Pass through the Gorge and to hike a couple trails. I grabbed an Ale-8 at a local gas station and drank it overlooking the Red River from an isolated boulder off the main road. I left the Gorge, wishing I had another night there; but the evening went well: I took Jason to his Melodic Connections concert in Clifton. He's not my son or anything, but I've been working with him for a year, and I was pretty proud. He kept looking at me and grinning ear-to-ear, and I couldn't help but grin right back. Here's a picture of the guy stealing the show in all his glory:

his dad must be Keith Urban

Kreme-Filled Donut Day. I went to The Anchor for coffee and scripture before church at U.C.C. After church I headed towards New Richmond and went exploring along the Ohio River; I found a cool little "beach alcove". I worked 4-Midnight in Blue Ash, a pretty slow shift. To garnish some excitement I taped a sign that said "The Real Office, No Boxturtles Allowed," and Ben (who is adamant that the staff room is the fake office while his basement is the real office) got REALLY upset. He scribbled it out with permanent marker and made a big scene. It was awesome. Once the guys went to bed, I sat out on the patio and drank an old Prohibition Style Lager that I found in the trunk of my car (skunked beyond recognition) and prayed about some things that have been weighing heavy on me. Oh, and here's a collage documenting my teasing of Ben:

It's the little things in life.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...