Saturday, February 07, 2004

from the back of my mind...

Back of my mind...

A friend told me the other day, "Everything's wrong. Everything's messed up. The world is messed up, I'm messed up." Can't say he's alone--I'd be a hypocrite if I did. My conscience homes in on all the times I've screwed up, so I can't go rubbing my nose in anyone's face. Recently something's been nagging at my mind, and I'll just say it. American Christianity is not the Christ Christianity it once was. In past times, American Christians owned slaves, whipped them, beat them, had sex with them, then went to church and worshipped God. Nowadays Catholic priests are fingering little boys, Christians in California are attending "gay churches", and ministers are stealing money from the tithes. Christians walk around, with sin on one hand and the God on the other, keeping them apart, but an eye on each. Can't say I haven't been there--don't think any of us can say we haven't been there. Christians at my school flick me off and threaten me just because I believe in God! Two-faced living, lies, gossip, overrun lust. We've all seen that dark tunnel. Christian teens go to orgies, waking up early to go to church the next morning. No small marvel so many people are turned away from "American Christianity"--it sucks. The Christianity of Christ is pure, good, and holy. The Christianity that subverts much of America is dirty, bad, and wicked.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...