Saturday, February 07, 2004

on worthless religion

What is it that turns many people against Christianity? Some say it's the formality of it all. I can understand that. Some say it's the fact that we say Jesus is the exclusive way to Heaven. I can understand that. Some people say it's because we are Bible-pounders (according to a friend, "the worst kind of Christian). I can see that. Another friend said, "We don't go to church because they only wanted money." I can see that, too. But I think the biggest thing that turns people away from Christianity is Christians themselves (am guilty of that). I believe many seekers turn to Christianity, see the Christian, and in their minds, think:

"Why do I want this? Why do I want Christ? What's so life-changing about this?"

I know, because I've been there. I've been looked at. I've heard people say, "Why do I want Jesus when his followers are like THAT?" Heard them say that when they look straight at me. I've had a girl say to me, "He says he's a Christian, but really, he's not."

Before we lead a horse to water, we need to be drinking it ourselves. As I said at a small group meeting, "If you say you're a tomato, but you're an orange, who's going to listen to you?" If we claim to be Christians and don't act like it, then what's the point? Our "religion" is worthless.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...