Tuesday, February 03, 2004

the secret to joy

What is the secret to joy?

Jesus first
Others second
Yourself last

What is the secret to happiness?

I have struggled for happiness for many years. Most people have struggled longer than that, and are still struggling. But I believe I've found that delicate, hidden answer of the second-most-asked question in the world, "Where do I find happiness?" Happiness, in my opinion, is found not in wealth or goods or a great job or fame or fortune. It isn't found in high-ranking stats and legendary accomplishments. It isn't found in awards or medals. All those who have grasped and held onto such things ask the same question that shudders through America (the world!): "I have all this stuff, and yet I'm not happy, but empty--where can I find real happiness?"

Having looked far and near, low and high, two years ago I found myself in Virginia, Amish country. Every Amish boy and girl we saw had a smile on their face and was having fun--even in the fields, they grinned under the hot sun as sweat dripped down their faces. How could they be so happy when they have it so rough? I didn't recognize the answer then, as I do now.

Simplicity. The simple life.

Marvel at the simple things in life--the snow, clouds, beautiful sunset, waves at the beach, falling rain, the breeze whispering over you as you lay down to sleep. Go through life without a hurry; things will work out. Work for your food. Love God, and live in a relationship with him. Love others. Help others. A life without futile cares, a life free of worry, a life at a casual, peaceful pace, not a jagged rush for the finish line, a line that changes with the tide and can't be seen for the mist of stress. Yes, be absent of stress! Let your greatest concern be waking up the next morning. Carpe diem! Seize the day!

Ahh, the simple life...

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...