Saturday, February 19, 2005

Following four and a half hours of I.G.A. slave-work, I ran over to Chris and Lee's. I thought Pat went into the bathroom, so I started knocking; the knocking was returned, and four about five minutes we tapped out a pretty smooth drum beat. Near the end it kind of turned stale because it evolved into a war drum, which sounded really bad on a bathroom door. Not wanting to make a masterpiece go further down river, I snuck into Lee's vacated room, stole his life-size posterboard George W. Bush, and leaned it against the door. I stood there for about three minutes until I heard the toilet flush; I hid in the shadows; the door opened and George W. slid inwards; there was a hesitant shout, then a dark figure with black bangs falling to the shoulders - the freaky girl off the Ring, my mind said - launched at me from the shadows, drilling me into the wall. It scared me, because it was Chris and I was expecting Pat. However, I was glad to see him clutching his chest in terror. It's not every day George W. falls on top of you, and he found it to be quite frightening.

Pat, Chris and I went to Donut Haus to visit my friend Dylan. Dylan was closing, all alone, and the store was packed, he was really behind, and really frustrated. So we just grabbed our donuts and left. Pat and I wrote some newspaper articles for Centerville High School, and went to bed. Chris returned to his own bed. Morning dawned, and Lee drove over this morning. We went to Cafe a-go-go, drinking coffee like kings. I was served my usual frozen mocha a-go-go (dripping with caramal and cinnamon, YES!!!). Lee rushed off to a 1-10 shift at F.Y.E.. Pat's mom picked him up, and I waltzed downstairs and joined my father.

The nine hours has been spent drenched in labor. My dad and I moved furniture, washed the floors, laid down carpet (a nice plaid patchwork, it looks very nice), and after a trip to Drug-Mart for carpet tape and poster hangars, we ate porkchops for supper, and Mom and Dad went to a school play - a spoof on Shakespeare. I moved all my stuff from my old room down two flights of steps into the basement, and have spent the last two hours setting it up. Right now my bedsheets are in the washer, being cleaned from all the dog hair that's accumulated (Doogie sleeps with me at night sometimes - heh, not anymore!).

So my back hurts from where I sprained it many weeks ago, but I've got my horse pills next to me if it gets too bad. They'll numb my muscles and I'll feel fine. So I will listen to some Straylight Run and await the arrival of Pat Hague, followed by - hopefully - an interesting movie and the first night - a christening, I imagine - spent in my new downstairs room!

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...