Wednesday, February 16, 2005

It was an odd feeling, almost a step through a portal and into another world. Under the cover of darkness we crept into a labyrinth of twisted nails, thrown timber, decrepit walls of peeling paint. Any moment we could get caught and punished, but we trusted the Creator - surely He could keep us safe! We carried no flashlights, and descended into the darkness of a half-finished basement, a skeleton of wooden beams in a mist of sawdust. We huddled in a circle, some of shivering in the cold, and our voices rose from the basement, echoing all around us. Sirens wailed past, and yet we continued to sing, no-hands-barred, and for a moment our modern world with computers and fax machines and plasma TVs vanished, and I was shivering in the cold of a world where Christians were fed to wild beasts, condemned to die in the gladitorial games, and burned on crosses to light the paths at night-time Roman parties. For a moment, a split-second, a mere splinter in time, the knowledge in my head became knowledge in my heart, and we continued to sing:

Capture me, O Spirit, wrap me in your wisdom. Make your home inside of me. Take me over, strip me of myself, and then some... Cause captive in your arms, I somehow feel so free... Yeah... So free...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

everything changed for me too. I told someone what a stupid idea it was.. boy was I wrong. So many things happened yesterday that were in so many different places on this imaginary spectrum.. and they made me think so many different things. And do so many different things. And there I was.. in this dark basement.. with my eyes closed yelling! I don't know.. I should let this forget itself. yes.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...