Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Who knew Micah could be this interesting?

Mic 6:1-5 Listen now, listen to GOD: "Take your stand in court. If you have a complaint, tell the mountains; make your case to the hills. (2) And now, Mountains, hear GOD's case; listen, Jury Earth-- For I am bringing charges against my people. I am building a case against Israel. (3) "Dear people, how have I done you wrong? Have I burdened you, worn you out? Answer! (4) I delivered you from a bad life in Egypt; I paid a good price to get you out of slavery. I sent Moses to lead you-- and Aaron and Miriam to boot! (5) Remember what Balak king of Moab tried to pull, and how Balaam son of Beor turned the tables on him. Remember all those stories about Shittim and Gilgal. Keep all GOD's salvation stories fresh and present." - the Message


I am subject to easily becoming depressed, even when life is going great. It only takes small things to tip the scales and slide me into some fits of depression. It is something I inherited. For those of you who have experienced depression, you know how terrible it is. Sometimes I am tempted to say that I am cursed, to wonder why the world seems to hate me, why I am so stepped on and trodden. These are thoughts common with depression, and ultimately, thoughts often with no bearing on reality. So when depression comes, I try to remember what God has done for me. In Micah, God is asking, "What have I done to wear you out? What have I done to make your life so horrible?" It is tempting to blame God for circumstances in our lives - things we have (or don't have), whether it be wealth or illness or girlfriends or whatever. When I am tempted to clutch onto this dysfunctional escapist mentality, I hear God saying to me, "What have I done to hurt you? Come on! Remember all that I've done for you!" And I remember how my life has changed. I remember how I am free of my sin, free in the arms of God. I remember how I have God's last name. I remember how I have a home that I can't even imagine. "Keep all God's salvation stories fresh and present."


"Wherewith shall I come before the Lord, and bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old? Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? " - Micah 1:6-8, KJV

After God's pretty much said, "Don't get all teary-eyed over your troubles - remember all I've done for you!" Micah is meditating, "What do I have to do to get right with God?" Sacrifices? Offerings? Religion? Do I have to sing all the right songs, pray all the right prayers, go to church every Sunday, tithe ten percent, to be completely right with God? The answer is simply, No. That stuff is the minors; the Pharisees majored in the minors and minored in the majors. God spells out what really counts, he shows what the majors really are, through Micah's meditation: do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with thy God.

Do what is fair and justly to those around you. Be compassionate and love extravagantly. And live in an ever-present, intimate communion with the high God.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...