Monday, February 07, 2005

I am in a lot of pain. I skipped breakfast and lunch because I had my blood drawn about an hour ago. I don't mind the needle, but breakfast and lunch are sacred. I just got on because I am actually pretty excited. I've never really published any of my works, but this is a first step: Pioneering Internet Authors.

On the side bar of my blog is a link to My work. That isn't I.G.A. I'm not crazy. It is just my recent writings, no doubt more will be showing up. Other than this, here is something I wrote today in Modern Literature, inspired by the idea of the American Dream:

What's the point of working so hard, storing up so much wealth, and losing sleep to stress just so you can have that bigger house with the nicer car? What's the point of slaving your entire life to fill your pockets with stuff, stuff, stuff? To me, peace and rest and joy and simplicity is far more valuable than a Porsche, a plasma TV, or fancy dinners. I would eagerly abandon all my material junk just to travel back in time to experience life as it is meant to be lived - authentically, slowly, enjoyably, simplistically.

I do not speak against working to feed the family, to put gas in the car, to pay the bills. Such work is honorable. I speak agaisnt the twisted American dream - work, work, work! succeed, succeed, succeed! money, money, money! President Bush said that America is a land of hard workers; a foreigner commented, "Maybe that's why it's so steeped in sin." In 200 years, we are all going to be dead. What will I have to show for it? A pocketbook full of cash - or a life worth living?

So now I must go and fix my chili and portabello mushrooms.


No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...