Wednesday, June 15, 2005

"I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, if anyone observes My teaching [lives in accordance with My message, keeps My word], he will by no means ever see and experience death... If a man keeps My word, he will never taste of death for all eternity." - John 8:51,52
No big theological viewpoints here. Just a simple, irrefutable observation: we fear death too much. Why do we fear it when Christ promises that His disciples - us! - will never see or experience death as we know it?

1 comment:

darker than silence said...

You might be right. There are two ways to look at it, that's for sure.

When I say we won't experience death, I mean that, be our deaths fast or slow, we will not experience the brutal 'passing' we imagine to exist (and which, undoubtedly, exist for the one who does not follow Christ). I am saying that we will never cease to exist; we will never 'die' as we imagine it; our thoughts and conscious will never be disrupted by death. They will continue smoothly into eternity; for in eternity, it is US who live, not spiritual beings who we are not in touch with till the day we die.

I'm certainly not a guru on this. Dallas Willard wrote a lot about it in THE DIVINE CONSPIRACY. I finally read it, and I agree, an amazing book.

(If you've not read it, borrow my copy)

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...