Monday, June 06, 2005

The need to surrender everything I am - the entire Me - over to God has been pressing against me lately. Sometimes I make the mistake of compartmentalizing God; God is here, my worries are here, my addictions are here. In trying to overcome addictions, I try to pull my god from his drawer and put him in the addictions drawer; needless to say, it does not work. I can feel God telling me that instead of Him being in a drawer, He needs to be the dresser. Does that make sense? Everything I am must find its place in the Being of God and my journey and intimacy with Him. My worries, addictions, my work, my play, my school, my hobbies, my writing, my desires: they all must find culmination in my journey and intimacy with God. Until I completely surrender everything I am over to Him, then I will never be able to experience the abundant and beautiful joy found only in Christ.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i don't think we need to completely surrender everyting we are over to God before we experience abundant, beautiful joy. i believe we experience it all along our walk at various times as we make decisions based on faith, and the more we surrender (live by faith), the more intimacy/joy we experience.

there is no greater time of intimacy/joy than when we are praising God for an experience when we lived on faith and saw Him deliver.

normally when we talk about putting God in a box/drawer it is typically preceived as a negative. an opposite view is that whatever we put "in the box" is what our focus is on. we normally put into the box what ever our current struggle is and focus all our energy towards that "thing", while all the things not in the box are put to the side. If this week we are struggling with an addition, worry, etc., we tend to put that specific "need" in the box so we can really focus on it. maybe instead we should put God "in the box", so that our focus is always on Him. when He is not in the box, He is just "out there with all the other things not in the box".

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...