Monday, May 29, 2006

As I taught class yesterday, a realization hit me: the thought of simply teaching or preaching for the rest of my life absolutely terrifies me. I used to think that I wanted to be a teacher my entire life; now I think I am beginning to understand that my gift of being a good teacher (though yesterday's lesson was far from anything special!) is meant to fit into the scope of a larger context. In other words, teaching is to be one aspect of my life, not the primary role that I serve in the community of God. What this larger, perhaps even greater context is, I still don't know. I'm figuring it out as I travel the path of life.

One of my best friends Dylan and I went to Starbucks last night, drinking coffee and talking. Our conversation turned to the story of Elijah. Dylan said, "I relate to Elijah so much." I asked him why. He replied, "Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one left. I look around and see all these people who don't care about God, and I feel like I'm alone. I feel like I'm the only one who really runs after God." I said, "Yup, Elijah felt the same way." And then we looked at the end of Elijah's story, where God said, "There are lots and lots of people following Me; you are not alone." Good conversations over steaming house-blend coffee.

Today we are celebrating Pat Hague's birthday. We are going to Guitar Center, I.H.O.P., and then over to see X-Men 2. Later tonight I am going to 3rd Place (hopefully), then waking up early tomorrow for my first day of full-time work (six a.m. to 2 p.m. every day). I only work till Thursday, though; I am going to a wedding this weekend (it's one of my best friends' wedding!). Oh, and I've started running again. Three miles every other day (hopefully it will increase).

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...